News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your favorite R. Polanksi film??

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 29, 2009, 05:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite Polanski-directed movie?

An early Polish one (specify)
0 (0%)
Knife in the Water (1962)
0 (0%)
Repulsion (1965)
1 (3%)
Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
4 (12.1%)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
3 (9.1%)
Macbeth (1971)
2 (6.1%)
Chinatown (1974)
9 (27.3%)
The Tenant (1976)
3 (9.1%)
Tess (1979)
2 (6.1%)
Pirates (1986)
1 (3%)
Bitter Moon (1992)
2 (6.1%)
The Pianist (2002)
5 (15.2%)
Other
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Capetan Mihali

It had to be asked, after all the hoopla.  I didn't list every movie he directed, for space reasons, but feel free to add your own choice.  I haven't seen them all, but "The Tenant" is my personal favorite.  Not as good a film as "Chinatown" or even "Rosemary's Baby," perhaps, but I kind of like Polanski's acting in the main role, and for sheer creepy extremity it is great.  I highly recommend it if you liked "Repulsion" or "Rosemary's Baby."

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

I'm a fan of "the Tenant" as well. Very creepy.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

I dunno, all things considered, I never really considered his films all that.
Sure Chinatown is a classic, but it's actually a better screenplay than a film.
Rosemary's Baby?  Meh.  Exorcist pwn3d it and set the bar for Satan shit.

Brian de Palma has a better body of work anyhow.

Admiral Yi

The Pee Nest.  Very good film, it will hold up.  Already mentioned that Chinatown is overrated.  Saw a bit of Rosemary's Baby and was not impressed.

Josephus

Liked a few of his earlier body of work, but I'd vote Rosemary's Baby, just cause the Devil gets laid in it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 05:38:42 PM

The last de Palma I saw was his adaptation of James Ellroy's "Black Dahlia."  The movie was okay, but I'd read the book before, at a more impressionable age, and it couldn't match it in impact.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 29, 2009, 05:42:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 05:38:42 PM

The last de Palma I saw was his adaptation of James Ellroy's "Black Dahlia."  The movie was okay, but I'd read the book before, at a more impressionable age, and it couldn't match it in impact.

Wasn't too thrilled with it.  But, I'll put up "Dressed To Kill", "Scarface", "Body Double", "The Untouchables", and especially "Carlito's Way" up against the Kiddiefucker's list.

Eddie Teach

Is there a connection between De Palma and Polanski?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 29, 2009, 05:49:01 PM
Is there a connection between De Palma and Polanski?

Other than they have furriner names, no.

DisturbedPervert

The Pianist, it's the only one I've seen all the way through.  Was good, but not drug a chick and fuck her butt good.

Tried to watch Chinatown yesterday, thought it was going to be about Chinese immigrants or Chinatown society or something.  Stopped half way through.

Eddie Teach

So you missed the PURE AWESOMENESS of the "I'm her sister, I'm her mother" scene.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

Chinatown is simply a great film, and I really enjoyed Vampire Killers, seeing it 20 years after Famous Monsters Magazine told me about it, but I voted for Macbeth. I liked a lot of the little things he did with that.

humans were created in their own image

Josquius

I have to admit to not having seen many of them. The Pianist was pretty good.
██████
██████
██████