Honor student, 16, beaten to death by teens in Chicago

Started by Syt, September 29, 2009, 12:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2009, 12:56:45 PM
Would not have been mentioned if he had been white... as it addresses the subtle association between African-Americans and stupidity/laziness. :)

Or maybe it's pointing out an objective fact that good students are relatively quite rare in inner city schools?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 12:44:55 PM
What's the relevance of him being an honor student?
It highlights the conflicts that black kids face when they try to succeed on the White Man's terms.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 29, 2009, 03:27:13 PM
Or maybe it's pointing out an objective fact that good students are relatively quite rare in inner city schools?

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

I think why it stresses the fact that he is an honour student is that it highlights the perception that academically high-achieving kids in a poor, black ghetto are more likely to be victims of abuse than academically high-achieving kids in other (white and/or middle class) areas.  Thus it is trying to highlight a (supposed) serious problem in American society.

Which raises the question:  is there any validity to that perception?

My knee-jerk response would be yes, but honestly my perception comes more from movies and TV than any objective evidence.   :huh:

Camerus

On the other hand, I don't think it is terribly unusual for newspapers to mention, when a high schooler is killed, if s/he was an honour student or otherwise high achieving.

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2009, 03:24:39 PM
Yay a few white people begin to notice things that everyone else already knew. :mellow:

Who's everyone else?

Octavian

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2009, 12:41:48 PM
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/28/Police-study-video-of-beating-death/UPI-81901254142254/

Quotehttp://chicago, Sept. 28 (UPI) -- Four teenagers were charged Monday with the beating death of a 16-year-old honor student, Chicago authorities said.

Hours after three suspects were charged in the case, prosecutors said a fourth suspect, Eugene Bailey, 18, was charged with first-degree murder, the Chicago Tribune reported. Silvonus Shannon, 19, Eugene Riley, 18, and Eric Carson, 16, were charged as adults with first-degree murder and ordered held without bond, the Cook County state's attorney's office said.

Bailey is scheduled to have a bond hearing Tuesday, the Tribune said.

Derrion Albert was beaten by both sides in a fight related to a shooting outside Fenger High School Thursday, the newspaper said. An amateur video of the incident turned over to authorities showed a group of youths kicking, punching and beating Albert with weapons including a railroad tie.

At a hearing Monday, prosecutors said Riley hit Albert with a railroad tie and Shannon stomped on his head several times as Albert tried to get out of the melee. Police said they were able to identify the suspects by examining the amateur video, the Tribune reported.

Albert died from cerebral injuries and blunt head trauma, the Cook County medical examiner concluded.

Chicago police set up extra security at the school Monday, saying they feared there might be repercussions when students returned to classes Monday. Albert's family organized a march and vigil at the school Monday afternoon.

Family members told police they do not think he was involved with gangs.

It appears the incident was filmed with a cell phone; the video probably floats around the interwebs.

They are going to have so much fun in prison
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Jaron

Why is it when its black kids, they are charged as adults, and when its white kids they just were playing too rough and they get assault charges and stuff. A white kid has to steal guns, plant bombs, and kill half the faculty at a school to get a murder charge. <_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on September 30, 2009, 04:36:58 AM
Why is it when its black kids, they are charged as adults, and when its white kids they just were playing too rough and they get assault charges and stuff. A white kid has to steal guns, plant bombs, and kill half the faculty at a school to get a murder charge. <_<
Considering that except one they are all 18 or 19, I guess charging them as adults is probably a result of the fact that they are adults.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 05:12:41 AM
Considering that except one they are all 18 or 19, I guess charging them as adults is probably a result of the fact that they are adults.

Well why the fuck do they even mention it then? :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

dps

Quote from: Jaron on September 30, 2009, 05:15:14 AM

Because journalists are stupid.

Viking

Quote from: dps on September 30, 2009, 07:00:27 AM

No shit sherlock, film at 11.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 29, 2009, 11:54:58 PM
On the other hand, I don't think it is terribly unusual for newspapers to mention, when a high schooler is killed, if s/he was an honour student or otherwise high achieving.
That may be part of it. Maybe it was to try and point out in the headline that the slaying wasn't due to some of the usual causes that kids kill each other over, drug deals, or what ever, and that this kid wasn't the type to be in that kind of trouble. That's what I got out of it.

saskganesh

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 29, 2009, 11:54:58 PM

Yes. "honour" student is a shorthanded differentiation. rather than just having another 16 year old, its good there's something to hang the story on, even superficially.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: dps on September 30, 2009, 07:00:27 AM

no it's because Eric Carson is age 16 and he was charged as an adult.

... you guys are just being lazy.
humans were created in their own image