British mother kills handicapped daughter, self after years of harrassments

Started by Syt, September 29, 2009, 10:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on September 30, 2009, 05:16:56 PM
You had the science teacher complaining that metallurgy was not good enough in those days to decapitate a man through armour
Really?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 30, 2009, 05:43:19 PM
You had the science teacher complaining that metallurgy was not good enough in those days to decapitate a man through armour
Really?

Would make a good segment on Mythbusters.

DGuller

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 30, 2009, 05:43:19 PM
Really?

I haven't got a clue. The science teacher in question was my Uncle Tony, a man who took apart the first ZX80 computer he had and put it in a box with a proper keyboard due to his dislike of Sir Clive's design. He's a man who's "always right" so he'd fit in quite well here at Languish.

I actually think he's wrong in this case, given what I know of the history of swords. On the other hand, we're not far past the era where it was considered unusual for a man in full armour to be injured on a battlefield (there's an account of a battle from the period or slightly earlier where the only casualty among the armoured participants was a man who'd had a sword point go through his helmet's visor. He was sitting upright on the battlefield and they had no idea why he wasn't moving until they took his helmet off...at least according to a history lecturer back at my old university. So he could be right.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 05:58:05 PM
So long as they blow stuff up I'm happy.
It's the opposite for me.  I'm sure being close an explosion is great fun, but somehow watching them all squeal in fake excitement on TV is not very interesting.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2009, 11:03:28 AM
The thing is you have to take your victim as you find them.  The fact some other people might not have taken it this strongly doesn't mean the police should ignore it.

I would have thought further police investigation would be warranted.  It sounds like a textbook case of Criminal Harassment to me.  :mellow:
Reminds me of that New York case with the attorney that repeatedly threatened his mistress or girlfriend or whatever, and the police did nothing--at least, until he threw acid in her face.

When he got out of jail, they got married. :rolleyes:

The lesson is that cops are often worthless and the bomber almost always gets through.  Also, that states should be liable for failure to protect the citizens who've paid for the state's protection--otherwise, what's a state for?

Anyway, kids that give disabled people a hard time to this degree should be shot.  Or perhaps merely crippled.

Does the "eggshell skull"/take your victim as you find them rule still apply in Britain?  I have no idea...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

You will maybe recall we had a similar case here in Sweden a while back that culminated with the father gunning down two of the assailants with a shotgun, killing one and grievously wounding the other.

The story was very similar, and both the police and the responsible communal functions seriously dropped the ball.

To me, it's incomprehensible how people can act this way in the first place, but the biggest problem I have with these cases is that while the victims aren't getting helped by the police, neither are they allowed to protect themselves.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2009, 10:05:56 PM
Also, that states should be liable for failure to protect the citizens who've paid for the state's protection--otherwise, what's a state for?
To provide a framework under which to undertake organized violence against other groups.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 01, 2009, 08:14:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2009, 10:05:56 PM
Also, that states should be liable for failure to protect the citizens who've paid for the state's protection--otherwise, what's a state for?
To provide a framework under which to undertake organized violence against other groups.

Groups, yes--and individuals within the group that threaten it. ;)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)