News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Homeless sex offenders directed to woods

Started by jimmy olsen, September 28, 2009, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I'm pretty sure neither the math nor the machining was there to build and operate a proper mechanical computer, either, although I could be wrong.

Neil, am I right to believe that all dreadnoughts from the namesake on had mechanical fire plotting devices, or am I just assuming too much? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

What would Emperor Presek of the Coalition States do?
PDH!

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2009, 06:13:02 PM
Suggestion: Stop harassing people that have paid their debt to society, unless they are still considered a threat, in which case do not release them.  All the child protection shit in the state of California didn't stop that Garrido (registered sex offender) guy from keeping a sex slave for decades. :mellow:

This is my thinking on the issue.  Forget all of the lists and neighborhood notices; if they are going to molest someone else let them rot in jail, if not let them go and forget about it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2009, 08:18:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2009, 08:14:20 PM
Can you make proper dreadnought armor, shells, fire control devices with 15th century construction techniques?
Dreadnaughts, Clockpunk style. :cool:

What the devil does that mean?  Made out of wood and iron?

Lots of gears, like the Golden Army from the latest Hellboy movie.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2009, 08:18:43 PM
Actually, I was referring to the revocation of all sex crime laws by divine authority.

Dreadnoughts couldn't be built with the construction techniques of the 1400s, anyways.  You couldn't cast a proper gun, and if you did, it'd explode when fired.

I was going to add that we'd have to manufacture the guns ourselves, at least, but I thought I'd let you do it.

The armourplate wouldn't be up to much either.

On the other hand, I suspect that fifteenth century technology might be up to a system analogous to the mechanical computer used on dreadnoughts. There are some pretty impressive mechanisms from renaissance Italy of the period.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2009, 08:19:30 PM
I'm pretty sure neither the math nor the machining was there to build and operate a proper mechanical computer, either, although I could be wrong.

Neil, am I right to believe that all dreadnoughts from the namesake on had mechanical fire plotting devices, or am I just assuming too much? :unsure:
Most early fire control was not much more advanced than a cuckoo clock.  It seems to me, if I remember correctly, that decent mechanical computers were starting to show up around 1910, and Scott's director control shortly thereafter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on September 28, 2009, 08:30:10 PM
On the other hand, I suspect that fifteenth century technology might be up to a system analogous to the mechanical computer used on dreadnoughts. There are some pretty impressive mechanisms from renaissance Italy of the period.
Really, a mechanical computer wouldn't even be necessary.  It was only needed on dreadnoughts because of the long range guns.  It would be impossible for old-time guns to fire to those ranges, and so you wouldn't really need it. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2009, 06:26:50 PM
Hmm.  If only Roman Polanski could live like this.
:lol:
You know, if they skipped boring jail and went straight to this (and it was filmed for TV purposes) I would then fully support his extradition.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 28, 2009, 08:05:55 PM
Or to loosen/remove restrictions on where sex offenders live (since there's no evidence that actually prevents crimes).

:lmfao:

Oh wait you're serious?!?

:lmfao:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

sbr

You have any links to prove otherwise?

The idea of limiting where a free person can live is insane.  If the person is a threat to commit another crime they should never leave prison.  If they aren't and they have served their time why should they continue to be discriminated against with watch lists and neighborhood warnings?

Martinus

QuoteThe former truck driver has been on the registry since he was convicted of attempted sexual battery of a 12-year-old in 1991 when he was 15.

Does sexual battery involve violence/coercion or could this just has been "consensual"? If it's the latter, how can you jail one kid for having sex with another kid?  :huh:

Ape

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 01:48:51 AM
QuoteThe former truck driver has been on the registry since he was convicted of attempted sexual battery of a 12-year-old in 1991 when he was 15.

Does sexual battery involve violence/coercion or could this just has been "consensual"? If it's the latter, how can you jail one kid for having sex with another kid?  :huh:
What do you expect from a country founded by people so uptight that the even the British didn't want them?  ;)

citizen k

Quote from: Ape on September 29, 2009, 02:48:42 AM

What do you expect from a country founded by people so uptight that the even the British didn't want them?  ;)

Benjamin Franklin?

citizen k

Does sexual battery involve violence/coercion or could this just has been "consensual"?

Why would sexual battery just be consensual? Isn't that statutory rape?

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on September 29, 2009, 03:04:08 AM

Does sexual battery involve violence/coercion or could this just has been "consensual"?

Why would sexual battery just be consensual? Isn't that statutory rape?

Surely you recognise the difference when both participants in the sex act are below the age of consent, right? Are they both then guilty of statutory rape?