Homeless sex offenders directed to woods

Started by jimmy olsen, September 28, 2009, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

We do it to murderers because that is their assigned punishment for murder.

The criminally insane are an extreme case, and even then they are not oncarcerated for life, but until such time as they can (hopefully) be treated and released.

Sexual predators, if in fact they rise to the level of the criminally insane, should be treated as such.

But someone who committed a serious crime (like rape of a child) who has been objectively diagnosed as a sexual predator who represents a increased risk of committing another crime, but who at the same time has in fact served their sentence, and appears to be rehabilited, could still warrant greater exposure and increased surveillance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I think a more sensible system would be to loosen controls on sex offenders, but lay down a few rules:
- job exceptions (teacher, toy stores whatever)
- regular counselling (once a month, every two weeks - whatever is considered appropriate)

If they fail an appointment or otherwise show signs of deteriorating in counsel: tighten the screws.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2009, 11:10:41 AM
- regular counselling (once a month, every two weeks - whatever is considered appropriate)
The American Psychological Association would like to:

* subscribe to your newsletter.
* elect you to Congress.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2009, 11:11:36 AM

* elect you to Congress.

Hey, they should have a lot of free time now that they can't convert gays anymore. :P

Syt

* elect you to Congress.

I have a three friends with masters' degrees in psychology. ^_^
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2009, 11:15:04 AM

* elect you to Congress.

I thought it was against the code of conduct for doctors to be friends with their patients. :P

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 11:16:10 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2009, 11:15:04 AM

* elect you to Congress.

I thought it was against the code of conduct for doctors to be friends with their patients. :P

I'm not in therapy. :P

Yet. :ph34r:
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 10:42:36 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2009, 10:40:05 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 29, 2009, 10:30:54 AM
Regarding the sex offenders may not live close to a school thing: if someone has the criminal energy to sexually assault a minor, I suspect they are willing to go the extra mile it may take.
:yes: Didn't Garrido drive over 100 miles to abduct that girl?

This is a fallacious argument - just because some offenders will go to great lengths to commit a crime doesn't mean that there is no point in not making it easy for them.

I could certainly imagine someone who would NOT drive 100 miles to abduct a kid decide he WILL, however, try to talk that little kid in his front yard into coming inside for some candy or whatever.

But we don't have laws that keep convicted bank robbers from living near banks, or the like.

Of course, the argument is that sex offenders are more likely to re-offend than other types of criminals--but I'm not entirely convinced that it's true that sex offenders are more likely to re-offend. 

It does seem to me that if the state is going to restrict where a convicted person can live, then the state should take some responsibility for helping to find them a suitable place to stay.

And barring convicted sex offenders from churches?  WTF?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 10:29:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2009, 10:24:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 09:47:05 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 09:43:11 AM
Such people shouldn't be convicted for sex offences in the first place.

Marty, what is it that you do for a living, anyway?

I argue on the internet with fat retards who are cheated by their wives.

I don't even have a wife to cheat me!

What about your date? Any follow up? :)

There was, but I ended up not liking her.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 11:00:13 AM
I thought about making the same argument but thought against it because of a simple retort that we are not talking about innocent people here, but about convicted offenders and the question is whether they are punished too severely, and not whether they are guilty in the first place. ;)

:yes:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: ulmont on September 29, 2009, 10:45:24 AM
Either sex offenders are uniquely dangerous by comparison to other convicts, in which case they should be civilly committed or not released from prison, or they are not, in which case they should have no more restrictions than your average parolee. 

Actually we do that in New York State. Some sex offenders are civilly committed under Article 9 and are not released from prison because it's deemed that there is no viable place for them to stay.

They also apply Kendra's Law for violent sex offenders.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 11:09:33 AM

So...we could do it to sex offenders as part of their assigned punishment?

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on September 29, 2009, 12:03:00 PM

Sure - we could impose life imprisonment for sex offenders, I guess. I don't know how much support there is for that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 29, 2009, 12:03:00 PM

Sure - we could impose life imprisonment for sex offenders, I guess. I don't know how much support there is for that.

:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I'd shoot Tier III sex offenders, and put Tier I and II's in camps.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive