News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wikipedia: Not for kids

Started by Martinus, September 28, 2009, 09:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So I was downloading a Wikipanion application for iPhone and got a message "The product contains material that may be objectionable for children under 17".

:face:

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2009, 09:33:01 AM
So I was downloading a Wikipanion application for iPhone and got a message "The product contains material that may be objectionable for children under 17".

:face:

?  There are some fairly explicit photographs through various parts of Wikipedia.

Martinus

It's a bit bizarre, though. I mean, wikipedia is ultimately a search engine for uniformly written information pieces. By the same token they could make an access to an online search engine 'objectionable for kids'.

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2009, 10:30:36 AM
It's a bit bizarre, though. I mean, wikipedia is ultimately a search engine for uniformly written information pieces. By the same token they could make an access to an online search engine 'objectionable for kids'.

The search engines aren't hosting the content themselves, so there are some differences.

Brazen

You might as well have the same warning on every internet connection or mobile phone or even camera. They can all have objectionable content if you choose to.

On the other hand, the Daily Mail SHOULD have ojectionable content stamped in giant red letters on the cover.

Richard Hakluyt

The comments at the bottom of the Daily Mail stories are particularly dispiriting; if it really does reflect middle England then we are a mean-spirited country  :(

Barrister

You'll find that any app that accesses the internet will have that warning.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Wonder if Marty is aware of the controversy over the South Park app that was pulled :D

Anywho, there are some things on Wikipedia I definitely wouldn't want my kid to access.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 28, 2009, 11:25:44 AM
The comments at the bottom of the Daily Mail stories are particularly dispiriting; if it really does reflect middle England then we are a mean-spirited country  :(

I love reading the comments sections on the daily mail stories.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Hmm..

ulmonts lawyerin' skills  > Martinus   ?  ?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 02:52:03 PM

Yeah, it is a very entertaining read. But, since I live in the UK, I get the "I'm living in the same country as these fuckers" hangover an hour or two later; which you presumably don't  :D

Tamas

Quote from: ulmont on September 28, 2009, 10:33:55 AM

The search engines aren't hosting the content themselves, so there are some differences.

That also goes to the mounting number of evidences of Marty not being a lawyer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 02:52:03 PM

I like to think they're actually written my middle-class left-wing intellectuals just trolling. It's the only way I can maintain hope for society.

And to think it's the only paper I've sold a story to :weep:

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 02:54:00 PM
Hmm..

ulmonts lawyerin' skills  > Martinus   ?  ?

What does it have to do with lawyering skills? I just find this retarded and if this is extended to any application that can access the internet, as BB claims, then it is retarded as well. I am not making a legal argument - I am pretty aware that Americans are perfectly capable of having totally cretinous laws - I am making an argument about common sense.