And we're back!

Main Menu

Going Down On You ?

Started by Armyknife, September 27, 2009, 04:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 07:29:33 AM
Are you referring to me or something else? :unsure:

If you are asking about me, no, I don't get much sleep these days.
Yeah, I noticed you were posting around 6am my time.  :huh:

Even if you're unemployed I think it's important to stick to a normal sleep-wake schedule, unless you have no hope/desire of ever extracting yourself from that situation.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

Got made redundant because the B2B magazine I was working for hit a severe cash-flow crisis, as no-one was taking out ads, especially for engineering jobs, which was previously the main source of income.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2009, 07:13:49 AM
My building society went under and was taken over and it hasn't affected me one jott. Apparently it'll be changing its name in November (IIRC) but my old book still remains valid for ever- they'll only change it to the new company's branding whenever I go in.

And of course the horrid exchange rate is really killing me.
We're supposed to be on the road to recovery now but in the past few weeks the exchange rate has dropped to the bottom end of 11- 12 is the usual and it goes up to 13 on occasion, anything under 12 is normally horrid.

The exchange rate is a huge success and will result in an improved balance of payments and mitigate the fall in work for UK businesses. It also makes the dreaded deflation far less likely. I'm surprised that the UK hasn't taken more stick for the beggar my neighbour approach it is taking to sterling.

BuddhaRhubarb

Blockbuster and other mega chain DVD rental places are dropping like flies. This doesn't affect our Niche DVD rentals in the least. I'd say overall our business is down from last year, but that was the end of our peaking from being the new store on the block. Hunky Dory in that area.

as far as things I do on the side. Writing, film... the arts are being destroyed by Canadian Politicians. They don't see the need for any artistic legacy. We already have the Beachcombers, and Mordecai Richler.
:p

Zanza

The company I am working for is not doing well. It burned billions in the first half of the year and sold off stock at ruinous prices to keep the cashflow positive. All salaries were cut (at least until mid next year). But they didn't go bust.

Other than that I can't think of a business that I personally had anything to do with that went bust.

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 28, 2009, 11:10:16 AMThe exchange rate is a huge success and will result in an improved balance of payments and mitigate the fall in work for UK businesses. It also makes the dreaded deflation far less likely. I'm surprised that the UK hasn't taken more stick for the beggar my neighbour approach it is taking to sterling.
I am not quite sure I fully understand all of this, but doesn't the UK's still massive trade and current account deficit just mean that the imports that British rely on are much dearer to them now. Did the exports notably increase because of the cheaper pound? 

Richard Hakluyt

@Zanza - British exports have fallen far less than British imports, the latest estimates for the current-account balance for 2009 are given as -1.8% of GDP in this week's Economist. Down from 3 or 4% a year back IIRC. So, not such a huge deficit, I think there is still an improving trend as well. But you are right of course, we are importing far less because those products now seem rather expensive.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 28, 2009, 11:10:16 AM
The exchange rate is a huge success and will result in an improved balance of payments and mitigate the fall in work for UK businesses. It also makes the dreaded deflation far less likely. I'm surprised that the UK hasn't taken more stick for the beggar my neighbour approach it is taking to sterling.

I've heard this. Still sucks for me personally though and I'm all that matters :p

Apparently quite a few countries have been doing the same as us- Sweden too was devaluing its currency a bit, keeping pace with us mostly for the past few months. These past weeks though we seem to have gone too far and they aren't following.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Armyknife on September 27, 2009, 04:50:21 PM
So have been inconvenienced yet,  had a service interupted because of the economic crisis ?

Not really.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Why has AR not complained about this thread title yet?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2009, 06:00:01 PM

I have no problem with this thread title.  :huh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2009, 07:35:25 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 07:29:33 AM
Are you referring to me or something else? :unsure:

If you are asking about me, no, I don't get much sleep these days.
Yeah, I noticed you were posting around 6am my time.  :huh:

Even if you're unemployed I think it's important to stick to a normal sleep-wake schedule, unless you have no hope/desire of ever extracting yourself from that situation.  :)

I'm trying my brah but I lie in my bed at night and sleep doesn't come. Or if it does, I only sleep for two hours then I wake up and can't fall asleep again. Maybe I need to start hitting the gym again, or taking sleeping aids. As long as I don't Heath Ledger out, I guess.. :P

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Perhaps you should try alcohol. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on September 28, 2009, 06:15:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2009, 06:00:01 PM

I have no problem with this thread title.  :huh:

Just a joke.  Didn't you a few weeks back (basically reasonably) ask that people refrain from thread titles like "Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck"? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)