Should a person's contribution to the society play a role in sentencing?

Started by Martinus, September 27, 2009, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, the Polanski thread inspired me to start this one - now, as a caveat, I don't think statutory rape is a case where this question would apply, but are you, at least in principle, willing to concede that there are certain crimes for which someone who has been contributing a lot to the society should receive a lighter penalty than your average Joe?

I think the best example would be victimless crimes. These crimes are penalized not because they cause harm to some victim (in which case there would be an element of justice and retribution that we couldn't just ignore) but because whoever makes the law decides they are harmful to the society. However, obviously, by removing a person committing such a crime from the society (via an imprisonment, a disgrace of criminal sentence or, in the most extreme case, death penalty) we may be depriving the society of contributions such person could have otherwise made, and as a result causing more harm to the society than if we let the person go.

Examples of this would be Wilde or Turing - in this day and age, replace sodomy with, say, drug possession.

garbon

I never thought you'd be defending Grallonesque sexual practices.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

The Brain

The Brain

On topic: seems to me that the problem that different sentencing would solve is much better solved by informal means. There's a bunch of ways to keep key personnel producing.

HVC

The problem with that is who decides what value someone gives to society? Is a celebrity worth more the an unknown, but important scientist? then you get into fun stuff like a rich person providers more to society then a poor person and all that jazz. So no, i don't think what a person has or can provide to society whould effect their sentence.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

To TheBrain and HVC - all points conceded. However I didn't say that this would need to be specifically some official and procedural/legal system - this could very well be implemented informally, e.g. by judges simply taking this into account - as many of them do.

My question is less of a structural/organisational nature, and more about morality/fairness - I mean if a judge would, say, fined a genius scientist (or dropped charges altogether) for a crime that a hobo would be sent to prison for, many people would probably voice their opposition.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 12:20:59 PM
My question is less of a structural/organisational nature, and more about morality/fairness

You lost me.

alfred russel

Yes, and it should be quantified. For every movie a guy makes that I really like, he should be able to get away with one felony.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014