News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2009, 10:52:01 AM
Yi - I looked at his original statement in French.  The translation is: "Do as I say, not as I do"
You sure it's not: sounded good when I wrote it?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2009, 09:43:46 AM
He went to Thailand and paid for sex, but he's very opposed to sex tourism?  Is there something lost in the translation?

He went there 40 years ago. Unlike on Languish, people in the real world (tm) sometimes change their opinions.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2009, 08:28:43 AM
Judging by the way you behave, if these are your role models and you learned your behavior from them, they're suspect.

Well, they represent views that are pretty much 100% opposed to yours so no wonder.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2009, 10:58:33 AM
...  You may think I'm an homophobic puritan, and I tend to think you're leaning to close to Grallon's stance on underage sex for my tastes, but look at the facts in a clear, rational matter:

You do know there's a difference between having sex with consenting 15 or 16 yo and the kind of boys being sold/rented in Thailand yes?  I'll never condem the former while the latter needs to be exposed and punished.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2009, 11:37:31 AM
You do know there's a difference between having sex with consenting 15 or 16 yo and the kind of boys being sold/rented in Thailand yes?  I'll never condem the former while the latter needs to be exposed and punished.

You do know that in many jurisdictions, including Canada, there is no such thing in law as consent from a 15 year old.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 11:35:07 AM
He went there 40 years ago. Unlike on Languish, people in the real world (tm) sometimes change their opinions.
He hadn't changed his mind by 2005 when his book was published, apparently.  Looks like he changed his mind, in a stunning coincidence, right after he started catching shit over it.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2009, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 11:35:07 AM
He hadn't changed his mind by 2005 when his book was published, apparently.  Looks like he changed his mind, in a stunning coincidence, right after he started catching shit over it.

The book was autobiographical. Care to point me to the part of the news coverage where it is stated that in 2005 he saw nothing wrong with sex tourism?

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2009, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2009, 11:37:31 AM

You do know that in many jurisdictions, including Canada, there is no such thing in law as consent from a 15 year old.

So? In Poland (and I understand Quebec) 15 is the age of consent. I also realise that in many jurisdictions (in fact I suspect in more jurisdictions than used in your example), homosexual sex is punished by death or long term imprisonment. Not sure if I understand what your point is.

Grallon

I'm not interested in legalities based on the outdated judeo-christian ethos.  If *I* judge the lad is consenting then I will proceed.  :)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 11:42:09 AM
The book was autobiographical. Care to point me to the part of the news coverage where it is stated that in 2005 he saw nothing wrong with sex tourism?
Presumably it's the part you read before telling me that he had changed his mind. :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2009, 11:45:15 AM

I'm not interested in legalities based on the outdated judeo-christian ethos.  If *I* judge the lad is consenting then I will proceed.  :)

G.

See, this is where we differ. I disagree. There is a need for a uniform standard. It's just that I think that in this day and age, the age should be somewhere between 14-16. Setting it at 18 (or even higher) is entirely unreasonable. It doesn't mean you get to be the judge.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2009, 11:48:44 AM
Presumably it's the part you read before telling me that he had changed his mind. :lol:

Nope. I see nothing inconsistent between the following scenario:

Guy goes to do something bad in his youth. Then writes a book about his youth, and mentions his bad deeds. But he does not think his bad deeds were acceptable.

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2009, 11:45:15 AM
If you have sex with a 15 year old in this country you're taking your chances.  Do what you will, but for your own safety I'd recommend sticking to 16 year olds.  :)

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 11:54:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2009, 11:48:44 AM

Nope. I see nothing inconsistent between the following scenario:

Guy goes to do something bad in his youth. Then writes a book about his youth, and mentions his bad deeds. But he does not think his bad deeds were acceptable.

It's a fascinating scenario.  ANything you can point to to show that's how he actually feels?

Jaron

Grallon should be in prison with Tallyrand and Polanski. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.