News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on September 29, 2009, 01:51:51 PM
PARIS — While an international team of lawyers fought to free Roman Polanski from a Swiss jail, where he is being held for possible extradition to the United States, the action against the 76-year-old film director is quickly exposing deep fault lines between his supporters in the arts, entertainment and politics and his increasingly outspoken critics.

Now I have to say the heck with Polanski, and all those who support his flight from justice. So many of those supporting him are probably "champions" of the little guy, the down trodden, social justice for all, yet this guy is able to obtain an international stable of lawyers that only the rich and famous can do! Oh, they irony!     :lol:

I dunno about that - his supporters are mostly famous entertainment industry insiders who appear to advocate the rights of the artistic elite to do whatsoever they damn well please.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

PARIS — While an international team of lawyers fought to free Roman Polanski from a Swiss jail, where he is being held for possible extradition to the United States, the action against the 76-year-old film director is quickly exposing deep fault lines between his supporters in the arts, entertainment and politics and his increasingly outspoken critics.

Now I have to say the heck with Polanski, and all those who support his flight from justice. So many of those supporting him are probably "champions" of the little guy, the down trodden, social justice for all, yet this guy is able to obtain an international stable of lawyers that only the rich and famous can do! Oh, they irony!     :lol:

A Polish MP has said on his blog ( :bleeding: ) that the Polanski's defenders have "shit for brains". I love how people think blogs are somehow private or less public. :D

Meanwhile, an "ivory tower" Polish films director has called the victim a "child prostitute" in an interview on a Polish tv channel and someone has forwarded the clip to the woman and now she is sueing his ass (which I fully support btw). :D

It is such a wonderful clusterfuck.

Berkut

This just gets better and better. I love the backlash against the liberal media elite.

Go France!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on September 29, 2009, 01:13:45 PM
So assuming he gets extradited, what happens? I assume the 30+ year flight is another crime that will have a sentenced attached, but what do you think he is looking at for the original conviction?
The flight carries max 1 year.

The sentencing on the original conviction is up in the air.  Presumably Polanski will get the opportunity to pursue his bias claim re the now dead original judge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 01:54:04 PM

I dunno about that - his supporters are mostly famous entertainment industry insiders who appear to advocate the rights of the artistic elite to do whatsoever they damn well please.  ;)

I think there has been two stages here.

At first, when all the big wigs of Hollywood and European filmmaking came out in his defense, the "champions of the little guy" (myself included :blush: ) had a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and also started defending him, since we usually align with the artistic elite in condemnation of the US fascism and whatnot. :P

However after a while most people have reached the "Hey, wait a minute" stage, and now it's just his filmmaking buddies who are pretty much saying that because he is a great director and lived through Holocaust, he can fuck 13 y.o.s - which I think many people take an issue with. :P

KRonn

Hehe... makes it all the more ironic. Bunch of miscreants. They probably are all for justice, when it doesn't affect their sensibilities.   ;)

Razgovory

Shit, he did all this to avoid a measly 48 days?  I know child rape wasn't taken seriously back in the 1970's but that's a real sweet heart deal.  This is the Draconian legal system the high society is complaining about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 01:59:11 PM

I think there has been two stages here.

At first, when all the big wigs of Hollywood and European filmmaking came out in his defense, the "champions of the little guy" (myself included :blush: ) had a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and also started defending him, since we usually align with the artistic elite in condemnation of the US fascism and whatnot. :P

However after a while most people have reached the "Hey, wait a minute" stage, and now it's just his filmmaking buddies who are pretty much saying that because he is a great director and lived through Holocaust, he can fuck 13 y.o.s - which I think many people take an issue with. :P

Too late. You can't flip flop on us. You are stuck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

I think this thread shows that Languish posters just do not have tools to deal with the rarest and most bizarre behavior of all in online debates: admitting that one is wrong.

Most people, like grumbler, just refuse to acknowledge it, and repeat their last disagreement over and over in a vain hope of generating a familiar response. :D

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 29, 2009, 01:58:33 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 29, 2009, 01:13:45 PM
So assuming he gets extradited, what happens? I assume the 30+ year flight is another crime that will have a sentenced attached, but what do you think he is looking at for the original conviction?
The flight carries max 1 year.

The sentencing on the original conviction is up in the air.  Presumably Polanski will get the opportunity to pursue his bias claim re the now dead original judge.

What does that mean? Suppose he shows the judge was biased--without sentencing, did the judge even make a relevent decision (it seems we have a guilty plea followed by a guy running a way for fear of a biased judged).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 02:11:03 PM
I think this thread shows that Languish posters just do not have tools to deal with the rarest and most bizarre behavior of all in online debates: admitting that one is wrong.

Most people, like grumbler, just refuse to acknowledge it, and repeat their last disagreement over and over in a vain hope of generating a familiar response. :D

I think this thread shows that many Languishites are perverts, and need to be beaten.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2009, 02:16:02 PM
I think this thread shows that many Languishites are perverts, and need to be beaten.

You could probably post this on any thread that's reached the second page and be right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

C.C.R.

Or answer to the Coca-Cola company at the very least...

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 02:11:03 PM

e.g. Ed Anger
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.