News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Not a big fan of Chinatown either, but I think The Penis is excellent.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2009, 12:49:45 PM
I have absolutely no respect for a 18 age of consent and hope that no foreign government would take it seriously also.
:lmfao:

At least you avoided making a logical argument!  Your emotional outbursts are much more fun (and comprehensible).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 28, 2009, 01:00:03 PM
For the record, Chinatown = overrated.
For the record, this is false.  Chinatown = one of the ten best films ever made.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 01:01:11 PM
Not a big fan of Chinatown either, but I think The Penis is excellent.
Disagree both about the film, and about your portrayal of Neil.

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 11:58:05 AM
Your taste is quite evidently atrocious so I had nothing to do with it. Evangelion, seriously?  The most overrated anime of all time, and Asuka's a stuck up bitch.

That's why she's so much fun...

Amyway, I seem to be able to get on the bad side of both sides of the anime debate, which is quite interesting.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

As for Polanski.

Does a settlement mitigate the crime - no.
Does the length of time he has been on the run matter - no.
Does an accusation of malfeasance against a judge over a plea bargain matter - no, since as far as I am aware judges can ignore plea bargain agreements in the States, and also this is the first time I've heard the issue raised.

The really interesting question is why it appears that the Americans were not seriously looking for his extradition until 2005, if the article is to be believed. Can anyone think of any reason that the Americans would suddenly move this case off of the backburner in that year?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2009, 01:14:25 PM
I have absolutely no respect for a 18 age of consent and hope that no foreign government would take it seriously also.
:lmfao:

At least you avoided making a logical argument!  Your emotional outbursts are much more fun (and comprehensible).
:unsure:
WTF?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

I can't wait til they haul Polanski back here in chains.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 28, 2009, 01:29:39 PM
The really interesting question is why it appears that the Americans were not seriously looking for his extradition until 2005, if the article is to be believed. Can anyone think of any reason that the Americans would suddenly move this case off of the backburner in that year?
Reasonable question.  But if you factor in the "we don't extradite citizens" laws in France and Poland, plus the no-passport travel in Europe, it doesn't sound so conspiratorial anymore.

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2009, 10:20:54 AM
Well, the age of consent in California is 18. There is no fucking way you could confuse a 13 y.o. with a 18 y.o., and besides it's not like we have a case of two love struck teenagers here, but a 40 y.o. guy who should just know better and at least make damn sure she is of legal age before he fucks a girl that could be his daughter.

The drugging thing though is indeed a factor.
I also think 18 is too high but this is the dumbest argument ever in the context of him actually fucking a 13 y.o. :D

Jaron

Where is Grallon to argue that 13 years old is very mature and old enough to make decisions about who you are and are not drugged and sodomized by?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 28, 2009, 01:45:40 PM
What are you grumbling about?
I'm confused at what on Earth Grumbler is muttering about.

Quote from: MartinusI also think 18 is too high but this is the dumbest argument ever in the context of him actually fucking a 13 y.o. :D
As I said its just oppinion as is almost every other comment out there related to this case.
What we say doesn't matter anyway, its all just 'Yey, death to paedos' or 'Noooo Planski!!!!!'
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Well I think the entire thing is a clusterfuck. On one hand I think the amount of resources the US/California's prosecution is putting into arresting some old guy who had a sex with a 13 y.o. 30 years ago would be probably better spent elsewhere, especially as the Californian prisons are so heavily overcrowded, Californian courts actually ordered the state government to release inmates, and Polanski is clearly not a threat to anyone. On the other hand, the ridiculous hysterics European filmmakers are making over his arrest, demanding a diplomatic action etc. and essentially arguing he should not be tried because he is a great movie director is so retarded and ridiculous. And the stance of the Polish government, which on one hand passes a very restrictive anti-pedophilia law (which actually makes it a crime to advocate the so-called "good pedophilia") and at the same time defends the guy is disgustingly hypocritical and populist.

Jaron

What is "good pedophilia" ? Like romantic pedophilia or what?  like NAMBLA type stuff?

And I disagree with "no threat to anyone". He is clearly a threat if he did this horrible, life shattering thing to that girl and boasted about it afterwards.