Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 28, 2009, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2009, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 27, 2009, 10:48:48 AM
Well it was rape because she was underage (and this Does Not mitigate the crime in my eyes) not because he broke into her house and beat her and raped her. He made a really bad judgment gave a kid he knew some grass etc and had sex. He should have done time for those things. He's a creepy Uncle rapist not a predator.

Not exactly what happened. He fed her qualudes and champaign in a hot tub until she was near comatose, and then had sex with her. She was 13. He was 44. They did not know one another prior to his hiring her to be his model for a magazine shoot, and throughout the first shoot he fondled her and touched her inappropriately. The second shoot - at Jack Nicholson's house while Jack was away - it was intentionally just the two of them. He went at this with the intent of having sex with her (she was a virgin, by the way).

I'd say that makes him a predator, and if it were anyone else, no one would have pity on the guy.

and yet she (the victim... the only person harmed by Polanski in this scenario) denies any harm being done. She has to continually relive all this shit... at least now that he's arrested and likely to get a worse sentence than any other rapist maybe that will be over for her? Nope. She still has to live with it.

She has to "live with" the undisclosed payout she got for her trouble. Whether or not the victim of rape thinks the criminal who has been convicted of the crime should be allowed to escape and live free is really rather uninteresting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Anyway, the Swiss better not change their minds and release the dude else we'll be unleashing Fall Tannenbaum on their asses.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2009, 12:11:05 PM
and yet she (the victim... the only person harmed by Polanski in this scenario) denies any harm being done.

Thankfully we do not allow that kind of evidence to mitigate the crime.  What he did was violate a 13 year old.  To the extent that she can tell herself that it wasnt so bad in order to cope with what happened is fine for her but it doesn diminish at all what he did.

Just because he has been able to hide out of the reach of the US for this long does not mean he should be able to avoid the consequences of his actions.

No it doesn't ... and it's not what I'm saying. (READ my posts and you will see where I specifically say it doesn't mitigate the crime... the oh no he's in France and therefore untouchable lie however should mitigate the retarded legal processes of the trial)  I'm saying they could have caught him this same way a million times over the years and they didn't.

The whole thing is an exercise in melodrama.  He'll likely live out the rest of his life either in a courtroom or a jail cell. And?

Chinatown is still one of the best movies ever made. That's all I care about.
:p

Caliga

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 28, 2009, 12:16:46 PM
:mellow: Stalin really did a lot to modernize the USSR.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2009, 12:18:01 PM
:mellow: Stalin really did a lot to modernize the USSR.

yeah pretty much the same thing. at least you had the good taste to go Stalin instead of Hitler.
:p

Caliga

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 28, 2009, 12:24:03 PM
yeah pretty much the same thing. at least you had the good taste to go Stalin instead of Hitler.
I intentionally avoided Hitler because I knew there would "LULZ thread has: jumped teh shark" and "all threds devolve 2 Hitler comparisons" if I did. -_-

The Brain

Caliga is worse than Hitler. Hitler never asked a question about current events in a history thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

And I bet Hitler used Eva instead of a mug.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2009, 10:20:54 AM
Well, the age of consent in California is 18. There is no fucking way you could confuse a 13 y.o. with a 18 y.o., and besides it's not like we have a case of two love struck teenagers here, but a 40 y.o. guy who should just know better and at least make damn sure she is of legal age before he fucks a girl that could be his daughter.
I have absolutely no respect for a 18 age of consent and hope that no foreign government would take it seriously also.

The drugging thing though is indeed a factor.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2009, 12:49:45 PM
I have absolutely no respect for a 18 age of consent and hope that no foreign government would take it seriously also.

The day you convince others of your view and have the law changed is the day your personal belief as to the appropriate age of consent has any relevance to this thread.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2009, 12:52:30 PM
Quote from: Why Can't people crop their quotes properly? Martinus on September 28, 2009, 10:20:54 AM

The day you convince others of your view and have the law changed is the day your personal belief as to the appropriate age of consent has any relevance to this thread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2009, 12:11:05 PM
and yet she (the victim... the only person harmed by Polanski in this scenario) denies any harm being done.

Thankfully we do not allow that kind of evidence to mitigate the crime.  What he did was violate a 13 year old.  To the extent that she can tell herself that it wasnt so bad in order to cope with what happened is fine for her but it doesn diminish at all what he did.

Just because he has been able to hide out of the reach of the US for this long does not mean he should be able to avoid the consequences of his actions.

No it doesn't ... and it's not what I'm saying. (READ my posts and you will see where I specifically say it doesn't mitigate the crime... the oh no he's in France and therefore untouchable lie however should mitigate the retarded legal processes of the trial)  I'm saying they could have caught him this same way a million times over the years and they didn't.

The whole thing is an exercise in melodrama.  He'll likely live out the rest of his life either in a courtroom or a jail cell. And?

I did read your post.  And I read this one and I still dont fully understand the point you are trying to make.  Are you suggesting that nothing is accomplished by sending him to jail?  Are you suggesting his sentence should be reduced because he has not be apprehended all these years? 

And as for being able to catch him a million times, do you have some actual knowledge about that or are you just assuming that since it has been so long that they must have had a million chances?

If you do have some knowledge as to how US authorities could have apprehended him a millions times then it would be interesting to know how that could have been done.

Josquius

Of course its relevant.
What else is there to say?
Most comments on the issue follow either:
'Yey the paedo is locked up'
or
'Oh no a great director is locked up based on something stupid in the 70s'
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 28, 2009, 12:54:51 PM
Quote from: Why Can't people crop their quotes properly? Martinus on September 28, 2009, 10:20:54 AM

I fixed it. :P

Eddie Teach

For the record, Chinatown = overrated.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?