And we're back!

Main Menu

Hortlund's New Career.

Started by Armyknife, September 25, 2009, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

AIK defeated Djurgården today, as expected :cool:

Update on the goal-post issue:
The Swedish climate is not always kind to our football fields, even though we play our seasons from spring to fall and not fall to spring as most other countries, so some teams have turned to artificial grass. Apparently the three arenas in question are ones with artificial grass. Why they for this reason don't have their goal posts fixed I don't know.

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2009, 07:45:50 PM
Is this the Sandbox?

I suppose, now that you're here... :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

I read an interesting short story ages ago (maybe in Sports Illustrated) about a baseball hustler who went town to town challenging local semi-pro teams to money matches, them against himself as pitcher and whatever local high school talent he could pick up.  His trick was to sneak onto the field at night, dig up the pitching mound and move it back a couple feet.  Then he told his pickup batters to sit on fast balls, knowing that all the other guy's offspeed stuff was going to bounce in the dirt way in front of home plate.

Jaron

:lol: Only Europeans get this worked up over something as stupid as soccer.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Pat

Of course you would never understand; for you sports teams are no more than shallow money-making franchises with rediculous by-names that moves to other towns when they are bought or sold. I wouldn't be able to feel very strongly about that, either. My father signed me in as a member of AIK the day I was born.

And you're the only ones who don't understand football.

Agelastus

Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 05:05:07 PM

Given the sport's popularity in South and Central America (where two countries fought a brief war over a football match, allegedly) you may want to extend this generalisation to at least one other continent.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Pat

Indeed, and having been in Beijing at the time of the asian championship final between China and Japan I can assure you they take their football seriously as well. At least I found the thousands of riot-gear-clad police marching in square columns outside the arena and the, despite the thousands of riot-gear-clad police, full-scale rioting after the game, indicative of that.

(Though admittedly we had been sold phony tickets and had to see the game from a nearby sports bar after we were denied admittance :blush: And we only read about the rioting in the international press later (there was not a word in the local english-language newspapers).)

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 05:05:07 PM
Non-whites and scum get worked up about it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on September 28, 2009, 06:22:47 PM
Given the sport's popularity in South and Central America (where two countries fought a brief war over a football match, allegedly) you may want to extend this generalisation to at least one other continent.

One area where Venezuela is indeed a superior country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2009, 09:31:40 PM
Yeah, but you're still non-white.

Which is why I removed that part of your statement. :smarty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.