'The Wire' Finally To Air On UK Terrestial TV

Started by mongers, March 25, 2009, 06:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Starts Monday 30th March, just a few years late. :rolleyes:

But don't worry they're going to put it out on a secondary channel (BBC2) and at 11.20 pm after a news programme, I think it will be run every week night. :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

That show has been "Next on my List" for a while now.

I really do need to get it, now that I am over the disappointment of Carnivale.  Trouble is, I spent my money for this month on El Cid (result of the thread) and the HD-DVD version of Blade Runner (on sale).  :blush:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2009, 07:04:56 PM
Yep, its sounds good and its got the CdM seal of approval.  :)
I thought he never watched The Wire.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2009, 07:06:19 PM

Nope. Nary a bit.  Very annoying show.  To me, at least.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2009, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2009, 07:06:19 PM

Nope. Nary a bit.  Very annoying show.  To me, at least.
Oops my bad, so its not very 'realistic' ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2009, 07:24:55 PM
Oops my bad, so its not very 'realistic' ?

I really wouldn't know, other than what I saw of the first few episodes I just wasn't impressed.  But I've been told that the writing got much, much better over time.
But then again, I have a very low opinion of the Baltimore Police Department to begin with. 
And David Simon can go fuck himself with a variety of everyday household appliances.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2009, 07:30:33 PM
Funnily enough, over here its apparently achieved near cult status amongst the medja/chattering class.

I shall report back on my initial impressions.

By all means, don't let my prejudices interfere with your enjoyment of what everyone seems to say is really sharp TV.  I'm just a grudgeholding motherfucker.

garbon

I liked the episodes that I saw. It was easy enough to despise the cops in it, so it spoke to my demographic.  Especially with the gay gangsta.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I tried it and found it rather meh. Cop shows just generally don't do it for me, the only real exception being Dexter.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Borrowed the box sets (you do need to see the first few in rapid succession to "get" it, I feel) and deliver the verdict: it rocks.

Gups

Razgovory

Do your British have extra-terrestial TVs?  Man, you guys are so advanced.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

It provided some hours of good entertainment, and basically highlighted a lot of social problems and offered no solutions (except Bunny Colvin legalising drugs).

"The Wire" was razor sharp at times, and had some very good secondary characters, like Frank Sobotka.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

I love it.  I think the BBC are a bit late though.  I mean the box sets have been in Amazon's top 10 for ages :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!