Punch a vegetarian in the nuts day tomorrow

Started by Ed Anger, September 24, 2009, 02:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2009, 07:14:03 AM
]I have a friend who in college, for no particular reason, up and decided to become a vegetarian... he's the kind of guy who challenges himself just to see if he can stick to something.  He's been a vegetarian ever since.  He doesn't lecture anyone about eating meat or anything like that... in short, he's still totally cool.

:yes:

Sounds like me, only I'm also doing it to try and loose weight.  I used to eat a pretty ridiculous amount of meat every day.  Loved it.  Now, as a Vegetarian, I mostly eat so that I don't starve or so that I can think.

And maybe without the totally cool bit. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Well, what I really meant by "totally cool" was "totally relaxed and laid back".  He's definitely not "cool" in the Fonzie sense of the word... he went to MIT and is a doctor now. :nerd:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on September 25, 2009, 11:36:51 AM
Some Buddhist vegetarian places serve really good food.
I just ate Indian for lunch and I went in there with the intention of having a vegetarian meal, but today they had the chicken pakoras on the buffet line and I couldn't control myself.  :Embarrass:

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2009, 11:20:37 AM
Am I insane for ethical consumption?
Yes.  Anyone who attempts to have ethics interfere with their diet is insane.  Anyone who advocates that others should do the same is not only insane but utterly monstrous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I don't know what you mean by "ethical consumption".  If you mean that you only eat meat that was killed "humanely" or something, I think you're a bit odd, but not insane.  If you mean you don't eat any animal products at all for ethical reasons, then yes.

In your case, it's likely just the misguided idealism and self-righteousness of youth.  You're too old to suffer from such a malady, generally speaking, but since you're a full time student now it's like you've regressed in age a little bit. :)

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2009, 12:12:45 PM
I don't know what you mean by "ethical consumption".  If you mean that you only eat meat that was killed "humanely" or something, I think you're a bit odd, but not insane.  If you mean you don't eat any animal products at all for ethical reasons, then yes.

In your case, it's likely just the misguided idealism and self-righteousness of youth.  You're too old to suffer from such a malady, generally speaking, but since you're a full time student now it's like you've regressed in age a little bit. :)

:lol:  I don't really care what other people eat.  Although from a top-down view, people shouldn't eat cattle and pigs, not because they're worth sparing, but because of the environmental and economic impact of their domestication.  This, aside from intelligence, is the other reason I drew the line at mammals.

The practical upshot is that I'm killing a lot more birds now. : /

Quote from: NeilYes.  Anyone who attempts to have ethics interfere with their diet is insane.  Anyone who advocates that others should do the same is not only insane but utterly monstrous.

You think I'm monstrous anyway, because of my carrier advocacy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Oh yeah, the whole "mammals are too smart to eat bit".  I'd forgotten about that. -_-

The point about how livestock raising is extremely inefficient use of land and resources isn't a bad one, though.  I would agree that our culture eats more meat than I should from that standpoint.  I don't personally care what animal is the meat source however.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2009, 12:54:26 PM
You think I'm monstrous anyway, because of my carrier advocacy.
I do.  Your mammal chauvinism is the icing on the cake.

Not eating enough meat will make you like Siegebreaker.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Meh, I think a dairy farm in a moist, lush environment could run pretty efficiently, as far as environment/economic impact goes.  Lush enough to grow feed grass(maybe not all they would need, but a fair bit), get the milk and cheese out 'em, and cull the occasional cow for meat.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2009, 12:03:43 PM
I just ate Indian for lunch and I went in there with the intention of having a vegetarian meal

Indian has by far the best vegetarian food.  Mexican and Italian work too, but most others kinda suck.

DisturbedPervert

:lol:  I don't really care what other people eat.  Although from a top-down view, people shouldn't eat cattle and pigs, not because they're worth sparing, but because of the environmental and economic impact of their domestication.  This, aside from intelligence, is the other reason I drew the line at mammals.

I only ate seafood and birds for a while.  Don't walk by any roasting pork, it's impossible to resist.

C.C.R.

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 25, 2009, 01:32:36 PM
Don't walk by any roasting pork, it's impossible to resist.

Pig is the wonderful, magical animal...

sbr

Quote from: Korea on September 24, 2009, 10:33:29 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 24, 2009, 10:31:39 PM
Quote from: KRonn on September 24, 2009, 07:40:01 PM
Looks like it's time for my annual trip to MacDonalds for a nice, juicy burger.

I don't think you are thinking of the right place.  :P

Are you a lady?

No, why?

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 25, 2009, 01:29:05 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2009, 12:03:43 PM
I just ate Indian for lunch and I went in there with the intention of having a vegetarian meal

Indian has by far the best vegetarian food.  Mexican and Italian work too, but most others kinda suck.
Japanese vegetarian food is also wonderful.

Ideologue

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 25, 2009, 01:32:36 PM

I only ate seafood and birds for a while.  Don't walk by any roasting pork, it's impossible to resist.

The only thing I really miss is pepperoni and sausage on my pizza.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)