Can I be:Ottoman Empire? ; well, not anymore.

Started by Viking, September 24, 2009, 12:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8273396.stm

So, last living Ottoman is gone. So you can't be: Ottoman Empire. You can only be: Republic of Turkey.

Quote'Last Ottoman' dies in Istanbul
By Roger Hardy
Middle East analyst

Ertugrul Osman - the would-be sultan known in Turkey as the "last Ottoman" - has died in Istanbul at the age of 97.

Osman would have been sultan of the Ottoman Empire had Turkey's modern republic not been created in the 1920s.

As the last surviving grandson of Sultan Abdul-Hamid II, he would have been known as his Imperial Highness Prince Shehzade Ertugrul Osman Effendi.

Born in Istanbul in 1912, Osman spent most of his years living modestly in New York.

No political ambition

He was a 12-year-old at school in Vienna when he heard the news that his family was being expelled by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the soldier who founded the modern Turkish republic out of the ashes of the old empire.

Osman eventually settled in New York, where for more than 60 years he lived in a flat above a restaurant.

Always insisting he had no political ambition, he only returned to Turkey in the early 1990s at the invitation of the government.

During the visit, he went to Dolmabahce - the palace by the Bosphorus where he had played as a child.

Characteristically, he joined a tour group in order to avoid any red-carpet treatment.

Ertugrul Osman is survived by his wife, Zeynep, a relative of the last king of Afghanistan.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

There are no scion from cadet branches of the House of Osman alive today, either? Seems unlikely. :huh:

The Brain

Who cares?

I lol at all that ex-royalty who are called royals by the masses. If the family doesn't have a throne you are ex-royalty, ie not worth shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on September 24, 2009, 12:49:33 PM
There are no scion from cadet branches of the House of Osman alive today, either? Seems unlikely. :huh:
Indeed.
But meh, you know journalists, sensationalism FTW.

One good thing I notice- this is kept in the 'Europe' as opposed to 'Middle East' section of the news. Take that continental Turkophobes!
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2009, 12:51:55 PM
Who cares?

I lol at all that ex-royalty who are called royals by the masses. If the family doesn't have a throne you are ex-royalty, ie not worth shit.

But unless the ex-royalty is some former Swedish-style impotent bicycle monarchy or a piss-poor sheepherders' country, they are usually a shitload richer than you and me, and thus better. :yes:

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on September 24, 2009, 12:52:24 PM
Indeed.
But meh, you know journalists, sensationalism FTW.

One good thing I notice- this is kept in the 'Europe' as opposed to 'Middle East' section of the news. Take that continental Turkophobes!

Exactly. And the house of Osman was renowned to pass power to Sultans' brothers as well, especially when they adopted succession by seniority by the 18th century to prevent anymore fratricide in the Kefes, as it had become totally unproductive to massacre potential heirs. So even the concept of "main line" is totally unknown to Ottoman Empire: as long as you descended from Osman, you were of the House.

For instance, the main Romanov line got exterminated through and through (except for those still fantasizing about that Polish hobo Anna Anderson), and no one would dare pretend that the Romanov dynasty is now extinguished, despite what the Russian Commies would like to believe.

And this is covered by their "Middle East Correspondent". Too bad, Tyr.  :lmfao:

Vince

Does this give the US any claims on Turkish provinces?  :shifty:

Gambrinus

Quotea relative of the latest king of Afghanistan

Fixed  :)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 24, 2009, 01:54:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2009, 01:36:30 PM
Was just gonna post this.  :mad:
Scooped again!? You're fired, Jimmy!  Aw gee, Mr. White :weep:

he hasn't even posted the water on teh moon story either.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

I remember this guy; there was a big profile on him in the Times 5 years or so ago.  He lived in a rent-controlled walkup apartment in a brownstone in the east 70s.  As I recall, he was having some issues with his landlord (not surprsing; he had occupied the apartment for 50-60 years and was paying virtually no rent).  very well-mannered, modest sort of guy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2009, 02:08:53 PM
I remember this guy; there was a big profile on him in the Times 5 years or so ago.  He lived in a rent-controlled walkup apartment in a brownstone in the east 70s.  As I recall, he was having some issues with his landlord (not surprsing; he had occupied the apartment for 50-60 years and was paying virtually no rent).  very well-mannered, modest sort of guy.
I remember that profile. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

There's no cadets. TheSultans killed all their brothers. ;)
humans were created in their own image