News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dark Ages Treasure Hoard Found

Started by Malthus, September 24, 2009, 09:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

That is some cool shit right there.

I've been looking for buried metal hordes around Rochester, but apparently the local Irondequoit sucked at the creation and burial of gold hordes. Losers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2009, 09:07:03 AM

I've been looking for buried metal hordes around Rochester, but apparently the local Irondequoit sucked at the creation and burial of gold hordes. Losers.

I guess finding a buried treasure of squash, maize and beans just isn't the same.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I once found an arrowhead. It was rock shaped, but inside was a POTENTIAL arrowhead.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on September 24, 2009, 09:10:23 AM
I once found an arrowhead. It was rock shaped, but inside was a POTENTIAL arrowhead.

:D

I once worked for a summer season at a Huron site just north of the city of Barrie, Ontario.

The most impressive thing I discovered was a small bit of brass sawed off something else. The reason: it was in a site dated earlier than European influence was supposed to exist in the area; it must have been traded from the coast very early on.

The Minsky Moment

Ironic thread title given the nature of the find.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2009, 09:30:22 AM

Heh, one of the key features of 'dark ages' is burial of treasures.  ;)

KRonn

Quote from: PDH on September 24, 2009, 09:10:23 AM
I might have found an arrow head once. Shaped like one, seemed to have had some grooves where maybe it had been worked into shape. Couldn't really tell for sure though, and no idea where it is now.

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2009, 09:33:20 AM

Yup.  The Dark Ages brought back the Indo-European fetish of bringing loot into the next life.  The Romans and Greeks were often clever enough to enjoy loot in their own time.   :lol:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

I hope they return it to the descendants of its rightful owner.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 24, 2009, 09:37:44 AM

Yup.  The Dark Ages brought back the Indo-European fetish of bringing loot into the next life.  The Romans and Greeks were often clever enough to enjoy loot in their own time.   :lol:

More to the point, it would appear many of the people hiding treasures were doing so *exactly* so that they could later enjoy them in this life - but were disappointed in that ambition.

That is, they were burying them not as grave-goods, but to hide them from nasty guys with swords, hoping to pick them up when the heat was off.

Sutton Hoo was clearly an organized burial with grave-goods (it was in an elaborate ship burial), but lots of hordes appear to have been more spur-of-the-moment affairs.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2009, 09:07:03 AM

You just have been looking in the wrong places. The local denizens find and pillage buried metal hordes around Rochester all the time. It's a dangerous business though because the police keep arresting them as they exit the abandon houses with their loads of copper piping.  :D
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

saskganesh

I saw this. Is there a list yet of what they have found?
humans were created in their own image

The Minsky Moment

Like vaults, and safe deposit boxes . . .

Quotebut to hide them from nasty guys with swords, hoping to pick them up when the heat was off. 

No reason to think that was at play here.

OTOH the need to hide treasure from nasty armed people is hardly a unique feature of this period; the 20th century saw more than enough of that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson