Three Stooges movie cast, choices are bizzare.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2009, 05:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I can see Carrey in that kind of movie, but Penn and Del Toro?  :huh:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1607739/story.jhtml
QuoteJim Carrey, Sean Penn And Benicio Del Toro Cast As Three Stooges
Farrelly brothers will direct award-winning trio in the film, due in 2010.

By Larry Carroll

Calling Dr. Penn, Dr. Carrey, Dr. del Toro?

In one of the most bizarre casting revelations in recent Hollywood memory, MGM and the Farrelly brothers are closing in on the actors who will become the new Three Stooges. And their choices to play the updated versions of three impetuous nitwits who whack each other over the head with lead pipes? Oscar-wining actors Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro, along with Golden Globe winner Jim Carrey.

According to a report in Variety, the laugh-worthy rumor is actually true: Sean Penn will follow his recent Oscar-winning performance in "Milk" by taking on the role of Larry. The porcupine-haired silent partner in the trio was portrayed for five decades by Larry Fine and became best known for his love of the violin and getting in the middle of the other two Stooges during eye-poke fights. We can only assume that Penn will be bringing back his "Carlito's Way" haircut.

As for the pivotal role of soup-slurping, chrome-domed Curly, it looks like Jim Carrey will be slowly turning, step-by-step and inch-by-inch. Long considered the modern-day master of the sort of physical comedy the Stooges invented, Carrey's work in films like "Liar, Liar" owes a clear debt to Jerome "Curly" Howard. Still, it's hard to imagine an actor that looks less appropriate physically, so expect quite a transformation as Carrey reportedly intends to gain 40 pounds to play the role of the dumbest Stooge.

Finally, the Farrelly brothers are looking to cast Benicio del Toro — last seen in Steven Soderbergh's deadly serious biopic of Cuban revolutionary Ernesto "Che" Guevara — as Moe. The leader of the Stooges, the character was originated by Moe Howard and was marked by the loving brutality (heads in vices, nose tweaks, ear twists, etc.) he'd dole out on his associates.

The Farrellys, makers of such beloved crude films as "There's Something About Mary" and "Shallow Hal," have been trying to reinvent the Stooges for more than a decade. In that time, various rumors have had them doing everything from making the boys into girls to casting Johnny Depp and Russell Crowe. In a late 2007 interview with MTV News, the brothers revealed several key plot points they had in mind for the project.

As for the Stooges themselves, the dimwitted trio starred in nearly 200 shorts and movies from 1930 to Moe and Larry's death in 1975, blazing the way for modern comedy. With help from Curly replacements Shemp, Joe and Curly-Joe, they explored the bromance long before the term was coined, loving and hating each other through numerous adventures that reimagined them as plumbers, soldiers, physicians and all-around numbskulls.

Rather than being a biopic, the Farrellys have said in the past that the film will be a modern-day take on the Stooges, most likely consisting of several short films within the movie. Production is expected to begin in the fall for a 2010 release.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

And there goes the memories of watching Channel 43, WUAB Cleveland on Saturday at Noon.

Fuck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2009, 05:41:36 PM
And there goes the memories of watching Channel 43, WUAB Cleveland on Saturday at Noon.

Fuck.
I know, I remember watching the series with my Dad when I was little. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 05:45:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2009, 05:41:36 PM

Fuck.
I know, I remember watching the series with my Dad when I was little. :(

Stop jumping on my memory bandwagon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Weatherman

grumbler

This sounds Onion-bad.  A biopic I could understand, but an attempted re-invention?  Lame, lame, lame. :thumbsdown:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Just the idea of a Stooges remake is horrible.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2009, 06:06:58 PM
I can't wait til they remake M*A*S*H !!

<_<
They could do that to the movie. I never thought the original casting choices were very good, other than Sutherland and Kellerman.  With actual actors, it could be a hoot, as the TV show demonstrated (once they got rid of the god-awful McLean Stevenson). They could not re-make the TV show.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 07:06:58 PM
They could do that to the movie. I never thought the original casting choices were very good, other than Sutherland and Kellerman.  With actual actors, it could be a hoot, as the TV show demonstrated (once they got rid of the god-awful McLean Stevenson). They could not re-make the TV show.

Perhaps. I need to watch that movie again. It's been many years since I've seen it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2009, 06:06:58 PM
I can't wait til they remake M*A*S*H !!

<_<

Colin Farrell could be Hawkeye.  Reece Witherspoon could be Hotlips, that freaky obnoxious kid from The Core could be Radar; matt Damon could be Trapper John; and R Lee Earmy could be the crusty Sergeant who was complaining about the goddarn army while driving Hawks and Trapper around Japan during their golfing trip/ heart surgery.
PDH!

Brazen

KRonn

I guess Jim Carrey would be good, should be, but I really don't care for him. When he was first in movies his oddball stuff was funny, some of it still is to me depending on the movie, but over all I've just gotten tired of his schtick. I don't care much for really stupid comedy, except if the Stooges are doing it.  ;)   Penn I don't see as a Stooge, except maybe in real life with his Ward Churchill like antics. The third guy, I don't know who he is.

As for the movie, it sounds like an odd concept as some of you say. But it could be fun to see some portrayal of the Stooges and their film "Shorts".

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on March 26, 2009, 07:50:35 AMPenn I don't see as a Stooge, except maybe in real life with his Ward Churchill like antics.

:lol:

Don't forget that Sean Penn got his start in comedy (Fast Times at Ridgemont High).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points