News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Beatles

Started by Josephus, September 22, 2009, 04:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Wish I had a piece of this action. Does Wacko still own the rights? Not sure how that works.

The Beatles have broken multiple chart records around the world following the September 9, 2009 (9-9-09) CD release of their digitally re-mastered catalogue.

In the major music markets of North America, Japan and the UK, consumers purchased more than 2.25 million copies of The Beatles' re-mastered albums, individually and in two multiple-CD boxed sets, one in stereo and one in mono, during the first five days of release.

Canada: The Beatles have 15 of the top 20 catalogue titles including all of the top 11. The stereo boxed set is a new entry in the current albums chart at number four, the highest debut for a boxed set in Canada since Nielsen SoundScan started tracking sales. Cumulative sales across all titles were just under 160,000 over the counter.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

saskganesh

Jackson merged the catalogue with Sony for cash, then took a loan, giving Sony the option to later increase their stake to 75%. I do not know if they have exercised that.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 22, 2009, 04:22:46 PM
Does Wacko still own the rights? Not sure how that works.

I can state with full confidence that Michael Jackson no longer owns the rights to the Beatles. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2009, 04:48:29 PM

I can state with full confidence that Michael Jackson no longer owns the rights to the Beatles. :P

Does that include his estate ?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on September 22, 2009, 04:55:31 PM

I didn't say anything about his estate... :shifty:

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2009, 05:08:09 PM

Lawyers.....always about the fine print. :P
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: Josephus on September 22, 2009, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2009, 05:08:09 PM

Lawyers.....always about the fine print. :P

That's where the money is...  :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

Jackson's estate does not own any rights in the Beatles recordings either.

His family trust does own a 50% stake in a company called Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, a New York-based limited liability company.  That company owns the rights to the recordings.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

So does Paul, Ringo and various estates get anything out of this? I'm never quite sure how royalties and all that stuff works.
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 22, 2009, 06:30:47 PM
So does Paul, Ringo and various estates get anything out of this? I'm never quite sure how royalties and all that stuff works.

They get some of it.

As I understand it there are different kinds of rights.  In particular there are publishing rights (the kind MJ bought), and performance rights (which the Beatles members still control).

Snopes has a good summary (which I double-checked to make sure I had the facts right :blush:).

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

BuddhaRhubarb

I've listened to some of those new cds. very nice remasters. I will buy a few select albums from this release. Never trust anyone who dislikes the Beatles (as a group, individuals are fair game)
:p

Josephus

Thanks for that link BB. Makes sense.

Buddha, yeah I have no interest in the whole boxed set, but Abbey Road, Rubber Soul and possibly Pepper sound interesting to me.
Civis Romanus Sum

BuddhaRhubarb

hmmm
White Album
Rubber Soul
Abbey Road

are certain for me. I can be a sucker though when prices are good on stuff like this.
:p

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 22, 2009, 09:20:27 PM
Never trust anyone who dislikes the Beatles

I've never said that I should be trusted. :goodboy:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.