News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Carter: US likely behind Chavez coup

Started by Savonarola, September 21, 2009, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

It doesn't look like he really said anything quite that outrageous; but details like that have never slowed Al Jazeera down:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2009/09/200992116049879437.html

QuoteUS 'likely behind' Chavez coup 

Carter, left, said it was understandable that Chavez blames the US for the abortive coup [EPA]

Jimmy Carter, a former US president, has said that Washington knew about an abortive coup against Hugo Chavez, the Venezuelan president, in 2002, and that it may even have taken part.

"I think there is no doubt that in 2002, the United States had at the very least full knowledge about the coup, and could even have been directly involved," Carter said in an interview with Colombian El Tiempo newspaper published on Sunday.

Carter said it was understandable that Chavez continues to blame the US for the failed attempt to overthrow him.

Chavez was deposed by a civilian-military junta for about 48 hours in April 2002, before returning to power.

George Bush, the then US president, denied any US involvement in the abortive coup and called on Chavez, who is critical of US policy, to "learn a lesson" from the attempted overthrow.

'Receding popularity'

Carter told El Tiempo that he believed Chavez was elected in a "fair" vote in 1999, had carried out necessary reforms for Venezuela and ensured that "those who are traditionally excluded are able to get a larger share of the national wealth".

But he also said he was worried by the Venezuelan leader's drift towards "authoritarianism" and added that he felt Chavez's popularity at home and his influence abroad have receded.

Carter said that Barack Obama, the US president, had told him he would eventually like to have normal relations with Venezuela.

"But he [Chavez] has made this almost impossible," Carter said, adding that "international relations would be better if he would stop his attacks and insults against the United States".

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

That evil Carter.  First he almost supported Wallace now this!  When will his evil end?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Jimmy doubles down.

Next up: the truth about 9/11?

Valmy

Well great now every Swede and Portutard is going to assume the US government actually engineered the whole thing.

QuoteI think there is no doubt that in 2002, the United States had at the very least full knowledge about the coup

Why is there no doubt?  If we are so freaking omniscient and almighty can't we someday use that to actually do something useful?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 02:40:10 PM
Jimmy doubles down.

Next up: the truth about 9/11?

Jimmy needs to shut up man.  He has no evidence to support this ridiculous claim only that he assumes it to be true.  It is like we elected Martim Silva to the Presidency.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Actually speaking of truthers this is exactly the sort of logic that spawns conspiracy theories: just assuming brilliance and superpowers by the US government.  Surely this tower of wisdom and infinite knowledge never makes any mistakes or fails to know about everything that is going to happen so how can there be any doubt they were not behind it?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2009, 02:41:19 PM
Jimmy needs to shut up man.  He has no evidence to support this ridiculous claim only that he assumes it to be true.  It is like we elected Martim Silva to the Presidency.
Jimmy was a uboat commander.  He can just tell man.

DGuller

I think we need to schedule Carter for end-of-life counseling.

Admiral Yi

Anyone get al Jazeera?  There's an article in The Atlantic in which the author absolutely raves about their reporting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 02:49:51 PM
Anyone get al Jazeera?  There's an article in The Atlantic in which the author absolutely raves about their reporting.
Yeah.  It's absolutely superb.  I'd say it's the best news channel I get (most of the US ones, the British ones, the Japanese, Chinese, French, Russian and Iranian ones).

I think the big distinction is that it just seems to do far more on most of the world, it makes the other channels seem more parochial.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

What ever happened to Pres Carter? He's been off the deep end for a while now.   

He used to be known for his work with Habitat for Humanity, monitoring elections in other countries (I think), and some other good stuff. Yes, he had a bad run as President, wasn't seen too kindly there. But it's been as if he's trying to cement his place as the worst US former President.   :huh:

Berkut

I am waiting for JR and Seedy to tell us how even though there isn't any evidence for these assertions, we can presume they are true anyway, because Carter just knows about things like this, no matter how careful the perps are to mask their language.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2009, 02:40:25 PM
Why is there no doubt?  If we are so freaking omniscient and almighty can't we someday use that to actually do something useful?

IIRC, former presidents get routine intelligence briefings.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2009, 03:06:50 PM
I am waiting for JR and Seedy to tell us how even though there isn't any evidence for these assertions, we can presume they are true anyway, because Carter just knows about things like this, no matter how careful the perps are to mask their language.
I don't think Joan ever said anything like that.  You need to get your culprits straight.

Seedy said Carter could tell because Carter was a southerner, and Seedy could tell Carter was right because Seedy is from a slave state.
Faeelin said he could tell himself; said nothing about Carter being right or wrong.
Shelf said unspecified people can tell.

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 21, 2009, 03:10:19 PM
IIRC, former presidents get routine intelligence briefings.

Link?  Yeah right telling a guys political opponents all about what their secret international dealings are sounds like a great idea.