Dazzingly Urbanites: Codewords 101

Started by Strix, September 20, 2009, 09:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2009, 04:53:06 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 20, 2009, 04:47:49 PM
My, my, my - hasn't marriage made us an angry man? ^_^

You've obviously forgotten what Skippy was like before his nuptials. :contract:

He was an idiot. Now he is an angry idiot.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2009, 01:42:42 PM
I didn't know anyone was defending Kanye.  I thought he was universally thought to have behaved like a bit of tit?

JZee was defending him. Apparently according to JZee anything behavior short of murder is acceptable.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on September 20, 2009, 02:36:05 PMI always thought it was used to refer to a particular breed of negro, but Strix is using it now to apply it against an entire people, an entire culture. How uncouth of him.

Strix, much like any other law enforcement professional, knows what he knows.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 08:04:35 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 20, 2009, 02:36:05 PMI always thought it was used to refer to a particular breed of negro, but Strix is using it now to apply it against an entire people, an entire culture. How uncouth of him.

:unsure:

As a law enforcement professional, I'm not sure whether that is a compliment or an insult...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Strix on September 20, 2009, 09:01:35 AM
Ok, so when did passionate become the codeword for being an ass?

It seems a lot of dazzingly urbanites have been using passionate as an explanation/excuse for rude and obnoxious behavior. A couple of good examples are Serena William's actions at the US Open when she verbally threatened a judge than refused to apologize and also when Kanye West took the mic from Taylor Swift in the middle of an acceptance speech and others are defending him stating he was just being "super-passionate" about Beyonce not getting the award.

It's not just dazzling urbanites.  Senior executives and their various management minions at a former place of employment which I shall not name used the "I'm / he's just passionate" to explain their latest idiotic morale destroying temper tantrums.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2009, 10:19:04 PM
It's not just dazzling urbanites.  Senior executives and their various management minions at a former place of employment which I shall not name used the "I'm / he's just passionate" to explain their latest idiotic morale destroying temper tantrums.

Let's reach out to stakeholders and engage them.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 10:20:18 PMLet's reach out to stakeholders and engage them.

No, there was none of that bullshit.  Just good old screaming matches, storming off to pout and get drunk, firing people for random things that were misunderstood and/ or were illegal, taking credit for other peoples' work, insulting people for no reason, lying... all of those were at various times explained as having happened because the perpetrator was "just passionate".  But there was none of that corporate jargon.

The involved parties were all Americans of various descriptions, though none were dazzling urbanites.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2009, 10:23:48 PM
Just good old screaming matches, storming off to pout and get drunk, firing people for random things that were misunderstood and/ or were illegal, taking credit for other peoples' work, insulting people for no reason, lying...

I remember that.  It was called the bailbonds industry.  It's where I learned to successfully interact with coworkers and break desk phones.

dps

Jaron

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2009, 09:08:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 08:04:35 PM

:unsure:

As a law enforcement professional, I'm not sure whether that is a compliment or an insult...

HA! I'd hardly call you a law enforcement professional. You work in the fucking Yukon.

citizen k

Quote from: Jaron on September 20, 2009, 11:25:20 PM
HA! I'd hardly call you a law enforcement professional. You work in the fucking Yukon.

Why are you always tearing people down?  :(

Jaron

Quote from: citizen k on September 20, 2009, 11:37:11 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 20, 2009, 11:25:20 PM

Why are you always tearing people down?  :(

I don't tear people down. I tell it like it is.