News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most likable recent U.S. President?

Started by Syt, September 18, 2009, 01:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Politics aside, who do you think would have been most fun to have a drink with?

Barack Obama
George W. Bush
Bill Clinton
George H.W. Bush
Ronald Reagan
Jimmy Carter
Gerald Ford
Richard Nixon
Lyndon B. Johnson
John F. Kennedy
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 18, 2009, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 01:42:29 PM
I wonder what Nixon would be like in person.

He'd be foulmouthed and blunt. I imagine he'd be a hilarious drunk.

The man was drunk most of his second term and nobody found that particularly funny.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: C.C.R. on September 18, 2009, 02:18:07 PM
Jerry.  The closest (IMO) to being a "regular guy" out of the group...
Do you like...Nachos?

Seriously, I would have watched football with him.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Do you...like nachos?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

C.C.R.

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2009, 02:19:45 PM
Do you like...Nachos?

Seriously, I would have watched football with him.

I thought about posting this the first time around...

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 01:42:29 PM
I imagine GWB wouldn't be to bad to hang out with.  Clinton is so overbearing. 

See, I would think the opposite.  Bush-43 would be boring because he doesn't drink any more, is loyal to his wife, etc. but could you imagine hanging out with Bill Clinton?  Said it many times before, but as much as I disliked Clinton politically, I always thought he'd be a fun guy to play a round of golf with, go to a baseball game with, chase tail, etc.

Anywho, I voted Reagan before I saw Syt's first post.  In terms of actually hanging out & throwing back a few drinks with, I'd have to say either Clinton or Bush-41 (don't laugh-- he's one of the few Presidents I've seen actually drink a beer).

Obama likes beer & smokes, but I have a feeling he'd just be too superficial.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Ford and Bush I

I guess I gotta go with Jerry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

charliebear

Ditto.

Malthus

Jerry.

It is always better for the ego to party with someone you know isn't smarter than you.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

charliebear

Gerald Ford: 
The Man No One Could Caricature

Gerald Ford. 38th President of the Unites States of America. Pardoner of Nixon. Cartoonist's nightmare.

Yes, as hard as it may be to believe, there was a time when the editorial cartoonists of America had a president so boring looking he was almost impossible to draw accurately. No one could seem to agree on what Gerry's most dominant feature was. His chin? His forehead? His upper lip?  As a result, the caricatures of the President varied greatly from artist to artist. 

As a tribute to these troubled cartoonists I have created a mini gallery of the many Fords that appeared on the editorial pages during the first shaky years of his Administration.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/Ford.html

Josquius

Clinton.
Even after the Louinski (spl) scandal he still came off pretty alright. Any other politician with such happening to them would be forever mired in sleaze.
With Clinton though its just 'Oh Bill! You lovable rogue you!'
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

The problem with Clinton is that, while I'm sure he's interesting and has a good sense of humor, he'd spend the whole meetup blabbing about himself and how amazing he is.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive