These are not the beans you are looking for

Started by Josquius, September 18, 2009, 09:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Damn religious discriminathination. :angry:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6204199/Jedi-ejected-from-Tesco-for-wearing-hood.html

The founder of the Star Wars-inspired Jedi faith has accused Tesco of religious discrimination after he was banned from wearing a hood in one of its stores.

Daniel Jones, 23, who created the International Church of Jediism, claims he was "victimised over his beliefs" by staff at the supermarket in Bangor, North Wales.

The religion, inspired by the sci-fi films, is practised by 500,000 around the world and requires believers to cover their heads in public places. But Mr Jones, from Holyhead, said that staff ejected him from the store over security fears when he refused to remove his hood.

Mr Jones, also known by his Jedi name Morda Hehol, told The Sun: "I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just sniggered and ordered me to leave.

"I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone."

The handbook of the UK Jedi Church, founded by the Star Wars fan last year, states: "Jedis must wear a hood up in any public place of a large audience."

Daniel added: "It was discrimination. I was really upset. Nobody should be treated like that."

"I'll advise worshippers to boycott Tesco if it happens again. They will feel the Force."

A Tesco spokesman said: "Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side.

"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

All rather wtf but :)
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

:D

A fairly clear case of discrimination IMO, wonder if he could successfully take them to court.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2009, 09:44:12 AM
A Tesco spokesman said: "Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side.

"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."
:lmfao: Bravo.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

A religion for hoodies?

"Wipe them out.  All of them."
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Hmmm...I only remember Luke wearing a hood when he entered Jabba's Palace.

So Tescos is the Earth equivalent of Jabba the Hutt's palace? I've been robbed, where were my dancing girls when I went! :mad:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Brazen

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Agelastus

Quote from: Armyknife on September 18, 2009, 10:50:02 AM
Quote from: Brazen on September 18, 2009, 10:31:11 AM
Illustrated with a hoodless Yoda, I note.

Another thread degenerates into talk about circumcision.   :rolleyes:

:P

YOU!!! You, "deleter", sir! How dare you return so swiftly...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2009, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2009, 09:44:12 AM

:lmfao: Bravo.

That guy's definitely the winner in this case. :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DisturbedPervert

Hopefully they will extend this policy to other groups that dress like idiots, like furries and muslims

Slargos

He's clearly being discriminated against. Either the rule applies to all religions, or none.

I don't think it's a good argument to state that the religion has rules that go against everything the original prophets stood for, since that would apply to every religion.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 19, 2009, 12:53:13 PM
Hopefully they will extend this policy to other groups that dress like idiots, like furries and muslims
Furries should be gassed!
PDH!

Martinus

This is yet another example that illustrates the sheer idiocy of singling out religions as recipients of special rights and privileges that other groups do not enjoy. Why do we make exceptions for religious rules and customs, but would refuse to do the same with respect to rules and customs that are based in ethnicity, culture, nationality, sexuality, or a personal fetish?

Lucidor