Republican protesters openly admit using racist imagry

Started by Jaron, September 18, 2009, 03:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2009, 12:43:16 PM
Si, puedo leer, Chancho.  Did it say the organizers were the ones who made the posters?

You are nuts dude.  Any logical fair person would conclude that is racist.

I am not one to jump up and say everything is racist...well ok but I would be just kidding around...but that is pretty blatant.  What do you have to do to be racist to you Spicey?  Hang black men in effigy with a sign saying 'kill all subhumans'?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I think it's supposed to mean that our health care will devolve to the level of the witch doctor. Maybe it wasn't intended at first to be overtly racist, but holy crap. How many people would have to see such a thing before somebody thinks "hey, this might be construed as racist..."?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

It's racist all right. It would be surprising if a protest against the policies of a Black President didn't attract racist imagry. This is a "dog bites man" story.

The only issue is the extent to which the organizers of such protests are deliberately stirring up the racist pot in order to advance their aims.

Way I read the quote, the organizers of the protest are claiming that the racism is just an expression of anger, not the cause. Of course they may well be bullshitting. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on September 18, 2009, 12:59:26 PM
It's racist all right. It would be surprising if a protest against the policies of a Black President didn't attract racist imagry. This is a "dog bites man" story.

The only issue is the extent to which the organizers of such protests are deliberately stirring up the racist pot in order to advance their aims.

Way I read the quote, the organizers of the protest are claiming that the racism is just an expression of anger, not the cause. Of course they may well be bullshitting.

I'm surprised at your line Malthus.  Would you be as phlegmatic about this "dog bites man" story if people were protesting against a Jewish president with anti-semitic imagery?  I think if someone was to argue that anti-semitic signs and slogans were "just an expression of anger" you wouldn't consider it an open question whether they were bullshitting or not; I expect you would hold them responsible, or at the very least, expect a condemnation.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on September 18, 2009, 01:12:59 PM

I'm surprised at your line Malthus.  Would you be as phlegmatic about this "dog bites man" story if people were protesting against a Jewish president with anti-semitic imagery?  I think if someone was to argue that anti-semitic signs and slogans were "just an expression of anger" you wouldn't consider it an open question whether they were bullshitting or not; I expect you would hold them responsible, or at the very least, expect a condemnation.

Sure, I'd expect a Jewish President to attract anti-Semitic types to protests against him. Probably many of the same people now holding up posters of Obama photoshopped onto a witch-doctor. Why would that come as a surprise to anyone?

The "story" would be the extent to which those organizing the protests are, in fact, deliberately manipulating public opinion by coyly encouraging anti-Semitism (while of course denying that they are anti-semitic themselves).

I see no discernable difference, except this: America has a long & tortured history with racism, and not nearly so much with anti-semitism. 

Again, dog bites man. I'd be surprised (and of course pleased) if a Jewish President aroused *no* Jew-hating protesters.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jaron

Quote from: Malthus on September 18, 2009, 01:48:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 18, 2009, 01:12:59 PM

Sure, I'd expect a Jewish President to attract anti-Semitic types to protests against him. Probably many of the same people now holding up posters of Obama photoshopped onto a witch-doctor. Why would that come as a surprise to anyone?

The "story" would be the extent to which those organizing the protests are, in fact, deliberately manipulating public opinion by coyly encouraging anti-Semitism (while of course denying that they are anti-semitic themselves).

I see no discernable difference, except this: America has a long & tortured history with racism, and not nearly so much with anti-semitism. 

Again, dog bites man. I'd be surprised (and of course pleased) if a Jewish President aroused *no* Jew-hating protesters.

Anti semitism is as American as apple pie and baseball.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on September 18, 2009, 01:48:59 PM
Sure, I'd expect a Jewish President to attract anti-Semitic types to protests against him.

Or, a Jewish Senator.  It's not like some haven't been openly anti semetic towards Israeli Senator Leiberman.

Malthus

Quote from: Jaron on September 18, 2009, 01:54:45 PM

Against Irish Jews, certainly. No-one likes them;)

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jaron on September 18, 2009, 01:54:45 PM

It gives you indigestion and charges too much for tickets?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 18, 2009, 12:58:37 PM
I think it's supposed to mean that our health care will devolve to the level of the witch doctor. Maybe it wasn't intended at first to be overtly racist, but holy crap. How many people would have to see such a thing before somebody thinks "hey, this might be construed as racist..."?

Agree.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I think this would scare off more people than it would attract.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2009, 02:19:18 PM

Depends. Certainly breaking out the White hoods and burning crosses would, but it is possible to work on racist resentments and sentiment more subtley - assuming that such resentments are in fact widely shared.

Razgovory

Seeing the town hall meetings with the daily shrieking white woman screaming "I want my country back" I'd say it's fairly widespread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on September 18, 2009, 02:22:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2009, 02:19:18 PM

Depends. Certainly breaking out the White hoods and burning crosses would, but it is possible to work on racist resentments and sentiment more subtley - assuming that such resentments are in fact widely shared.

I think this assumption is the key to this entire "issue".

There is this assumption that the Evil Right is full of racists, so of course the left is ultra-quick to level the accusation, regardless of whether or not there is any basis for it beyond their own certainty that it MUST be true.

A black man is president, so of course the Dems are going to use that as a political bludgeon as much as they can. If Hillary had been elected, we would be seeing this same "issue" over the rampant (yet strangely well hidden) sexism that permeates all non-true liberals.

What I find amazing about it is the ease of which otherwise pretty rational posters embrace this tactic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned