And we're back!

Main Menu

Kids send Marcus the Lamb to slaughter

Started by Martinus, September 17, 2009, 07:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on September 17, 2009, 09:18:36 AM
Quote from: Brazen on September 17, 2009, 08:38:36 AM
In other news, Reuters journalists suck. "Cull"? My fat thesaurus.
The more I think about this use of the word, the more it pisses me off. Not only is it totally incorrect, I judge that it's being used emotively due to its association with seal culling.

Cull: To heartlessly murder something fluffy.

Your anger is turning me on.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2009, 08:01:30 AM
I know you and I are not disagreeing on this issue, but I know of at least one case of people keeping animals as pets and then slaughtering them.  My dad used to have a live-in manager who kept a pigpen and he and his family considered the pigs as pets, but did slaughter them for pork.  So while I guess it might be unusual it's at least not completely alien.

I've seen it happen lots of times. But urban folks probably haven't, and my guess is that those complaining loudest are those with no experience on a farm. The idea of naming an animal, raising it, and then killing it - even by a third party - will be appalling to them. And I'm sure they'll think that the children just don't get it and will be destroyed later on.

They're thinking of the children, after all.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2009, 09:37:45 AM
I've seen it happen lots of times. But urban folks probably haven't, and my guess is that those complaining loudest are those with no experience on a farm.
Precisely. :)

I would love to see PETA membership stats in terms of urban dwellers vs. rural folks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2009, 09:42:15 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2009, 09:37:45 AM
I've seen it happen lots of times. But urban folks probably haven't, and my guess is that those complaining loudest are those with no experience on a farm.
Precisely. :)

I would love to see PETA membership stats in terms of urban dwellers vs. rural folks.

99 to 1
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on September 17, 2009, 09:18:36 AM
The more I think about this use of the word, the more it pisses me off. Not only is it totally incorrect, I judge that it's being used emotively due to its association with seal culling.

Cull: To heartlessly murder something fluffy.

:lol:

It bothered me when I read it at first too, but now that you've put it that way, I find it funny.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

swallow

We had to kill some old hens/pets, pluck them, clean them out etc as a kid.  To be honest, it didn't really register when we were told to do it, because I'd not done anything like that before and I think it was something qiute unreal to me.  When we did it and it became real, it really wasn't something very nice and I wouldn't eat Speckly Hen, Brown Hen, White chicky, Fluffy Hen ........    Not really a decisioon for children to make about pets.

PDH

A friend of mine taught 1st Year English and the topic came up about meat - and he realized nobody in the class understood where steaks came from. Oh, they realized that cows were walking steaks, but not the process.  He explained it to them.

I imagine it was like the Troy McClure short about Bovine University...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 17, 2009, 10:47:11 AM
I imagine it was like the Troy McClure short about Bovine University...

Lisa: They can't seriously expect us to swallow that tripe.

Skinner: Now as a special treat courtesy of our friends at the Meat Council, please help yourself to this tripe. (Class cheers and runs to table loaded with tripe)

Lisa: Stop it, Stop IT! Don't you realize you've just been brainwashed by corporate propaganda?

Janie: Hmmph, apparently my crazy friend here hasn't heard of the food chain.

Uter: Yeah, Lisa's a grade A moron!

Ralph: When I grow up, I'm going to go to Bovine University.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

There is something very cute about a children's death panel voting nearly unanimously to do the chop-chop on the lamb they raised.

DisturbedPervert

The whole project seems odd.  When I was that age we raised butterfly larvae and released them once they turned in to butterflies.  We didn't raise livestock and send them off to the slaughterhouse.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 17, 2009, 11:00:52 AM
The whole project seems odd.  When I was that age we raised butterfly larvae and released them once they turned in to butterflies.  We didn't raise livestock and send them off to the slaughterhouse.

But you're from Hippy California not Rural England.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

But 50 years previously most kids would have been involved in or at least seen the slaughter of farm animals. We've lost that insight into the whole food chain which has led to poor quality food, bad diets and cruelly raised livestock.

Razgovory

Good for them. Part of the reason our diet's so shit in this country is no-one teaches kids where food comes from. Most of them won't eat meat and a lot of adults won't buy and cook it unless it's an anonymous, bloodless block of protein.

I remember seeing a pig carcass being delivered to a butcher as a kid. I ate nothing but bread and milk for a week, then sson realised it was just an burden of being top of the food chain and got over it.

They should have taught the kids how to butcher it to. In this time of mass unemployment, butchery skills are in great demand and butchers are highly paid.

I agree.  It's actually important to teach kids about things in their world they don't normally come across but should have some knowledge.  Teaching kids where their food comes from is a good thing.  We teach science for the same reason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

swallow

Agreed (as someone who experienced killing animals)  Let them have their childhood while they can.