News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Achtung! Baseball

Started by Warspite, September 15, 2009, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

I'm looking for some info on Don Zimmer, this guy who has seemingly been involved in baseball forever. Google is not exactly coming up trumps. Getting a lot of stat pages. So I thought I would ask some actual fans.

What's the general opinion of him? Is he a much-loved fixture of the game? Does he serve as a reminder of baseball past? Does he have any controversies or particularly legendary achievements behind him?

Links to biographical articles or retrospectives would be particularly helpful!
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Eddie Teach

He coached the Cubs for a long time, so lovable loser I guess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Zim is a major feature in the folklore of the Yankees-Bosox rivarly.  He managed the 78 Boston club that blew a huge divisional lead.  Later, as an obese, septuagenerian coach on the Yankees, he was involved in a notorious incident where he attempted to tackle Pedro Martinez and instead was spun to the ground.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Ok, so not that long a stint with the Cubs apparently.

Were they once known as the White Stockings or is Wiki misleading me?

sbr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2009, 05:37:09 PM
Later, as an obese, septuagenerian coach on the Yankees, he was involved in a notorious incident where he attempted to tackle Pedro Martinez and instead was spun to the ground.

Only the first 15 seconds or so is relevant.

Jaron

Yay for the second most boring sport on Earth. (After Soccer)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

sbr

Quote from: sbr on September 15, 2009, 06:31:02 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2009, 05:37:09 PM
Later, as an obese, septuagenerian coach on the Yankees, he was involved in a notorious incident where he attempted to tackle Pedro Martinez and instead was spun to the ground.

Only the first 15 seconds or so is relevant.

I guess the video is relevant too.   :Embarrass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb8Tpt6lEjg&feature=fvw

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on September 15, 2009, 06:41:26 PM

Wow a self loathing beaner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2009, 10:27:42 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 15, 2009, 06:41:26 PM

Wow a self loathing beaner.

You god damn racist Texan.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

He was manager of the year in 1989 with the Cubs and he made two All-Star games as a player.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on September 15, 2009, 10:30:58 PM
You god damn racist Texan.

That's just my scary ghost costume.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Strix on September 15, 2009, 10:33:42 PM
He was manager of the year in 1989 with the Cubs.

Oh yeah forgot about that.  He deserved that - basically lifted a .500 caliber team into the NLCS by somehow coaxing fluke years out of two rookie outfielders.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2009, 05:44:17 PM
Ok, so not that long a stint with the Cubs apparently.

Were they once known as the White Stockings or is Wiki misleading me?

Err, the OTHER Chicago team, the White Soxs, was once known as the White Stockings...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach