Which fourth-generation dreadnought do you think looks best?

Started by Neil, September 15, 2009, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which fourth-generation dreadnought do you think looks best?

Richelieu-class (France)
7 (14%)
Bismarck-class (Germany)
13 (26%)
Littorio-class (Italy)
3 (6%)
Yamato-class (Japan)
9 (18%)
Vanguard-class (UK)
4 (8%)
Iowa-class (USA)
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

grumbler

Vanguard has by far the best-looking hull, but its turrets are so small compared to her size that she doesn't quite "work."

Yamato's wavy hull ruins her look.

Iowa's bow is too long - makes her look lopsided.  She has the best superstructure, though.

VV's after turrets is one deck too high - it makes it look like something is missing on the quarterdeck.

Richelieu is simply unattractive in general.

Bismarck isn't the best at anything, but is balanced and lacks serious flaws, and thus the most attractive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

Uhmmm... I happen to like wavy hulls if the effect is not excessive.

For me the best looking is Yamato, closely followed by Bismarck and Iowa almost tied. If forced to choose, Bismarck 2nd, Iowa 3rd.

I agree with Grumbler, Vittorio Veneto's stern is plain ugly.

And both Vanguard and Richelieu could have used better concept art, specially Richelieu doesn't seem French (come on, guys, you are supposed to be the best at design and fashion!)

Neil

Actually, I think I prefer the Yamato's overall superstructure to the Iowa's, although I really like the window bank on the bridge of the Iowa.    Yamato looks very sleek, even moreso than most Japanese ships.  I also agree that Vanguard would look a lot better with triple or quad turrets.  Richelieu has all those empty spaces on her, an unusual armament layout and a weird, ugly quarterdeck.  As for the Littorios, I always wondered why they put the after turret up so high.  Seems to me it would have made more sense to move the aft seconaries forward a bit.  Bismarck looks fast and mean, although less so than Yamato in my opinion.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

I must disagree - Vanguard has by far the most aesthetically pleasing superstructure. I liked the look of this style on the rebuilds of the Queen Elizabeths' as well.

I can't disagree about the armament though, even if I am a fan of the 15"/42 in general.

(1) Vanguard.
(2) Bismarck
(3) Yamato
(4) Iowa
(5) Littorio
(6) Richelieu
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

I've never liked the block superstructure look, preferring the stepped-up look.  If one is to have a block look, I agree that Vanguard's is superior to Yamato's and (especially!) Littorio's. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

lustindarkness

Not sure who to vote for, I kinda like the look of the Bismark. And I do like the long bow of the Iowa.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on September 15, 2009, 12:37:40 PM
WHat was the logic of Richileau's armament layout?
Grouping the turrets/magazines like that meant you had to cover less area with the armor belt.

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

Having all big guns pointing towards the bow was a very aggressive design (true, Nelson class was similar in that aspect but Great Britain had 15 dreadnoughts while France had only 6!). Perhaps the French expected their main mission to be hunting German commerce raiders?   

Fate

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on September 15, 2009, 01:14:35 PM
Quote from: Warspite on September 15, 2009, 12:37:40 PM
WHat was the logic of Richileau's armament layout?
Grouping the turrets/magazines like that meant you had to cover less area with the armor belt.
Although the rear-mounted secondary might lessen that somewhat.

Also, you notice that the turrets in Richelieu and Dunkerque are much farther apart than in Rodney, reducing the chance of a lucky hit taking out your entire main battery.