HS Football Star saves busload of kids from girl with gun

Started by sbr, September 14, 2009, 10:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/03/mississippi.bus.hero/index.html

QuoteCNN) -- A Mississippi high school football player is being hailed as a hero for saving a school bus full of elementary and high school students from a gun-wielding girl.

Surveillance camera footage on the Yazoo County school bus on Tuesday captured 18-year-old Kaleb Eulls tackling the 14-year-old girl while the children evacuated the bus.

Eulls managed to wrestle the .380-caliber semi-automatic handgun from her, Yazoo County Sheriff Thomas Vaughan told CNN.

Eulls was asleep with headphones in his ears when the 14-year-old girl rose from her seat with a weapon in her hand, he told CNN's "American Morning."

"One of my sisters woke me up and said, 'Kaleb, the girl has a gun,' " he said.

Twenty-two children ages 5 to 18 were on the bus to Linwood Elementary, Yazoo County Junior High and Yazoo County High schools when the incident began, Vaughan said.

The girl started pacing the aisle, shouting and pointing the gun, threatening to shoot those she accused of teasing her, Eulls said.

At one point, the bus driver calmly called her up to the front and attempted to talk her down. But she returned to the middle of the bus and resumed shouting -- most of which is inaudible on the footage, except for the comment, "Don't talk to me."

That's when Eulls, a 6-foot-4-inch, 255-pound high school senior who has verbally committed to play for Mississippi State University after graduation, went into action.

"I just tried to get her to focus directly on me, just point the gun at me, so I would know she's not pointing it at anyone else besides me," he said.

"And in a split second, I guess she just looked off the bus or flinched or blinked, and I knew that would be my only chance, and I just went at her."

The defensive end and quarterback, recognized as one of the best players in the state by The Clarion-Ledger newspaper in Jackson, tackled the girl to the floor and took the gun from her.

"After I got the gun loose, I told my bus driver that I had it, and I ran out the back of the bus with it and disarmed it," he said.

In the footage, the girl can be seen running after him. Video Watch the confrontation unfold on camera »

In the aftermath, Eulls was humble.

"At that point I just knew something had to be done or the situation could have been worse," he told CNN.

The girl was arrested and taken into custody as a juvenile. She faces 22 counts of attempted aggravated assault, 22 counts of kidnapping and one count of possession of a firearm on school property because the bus is leased by the school district, Vaughan said.

Everyone else, including Eulls, continued on to school, where he received a hero's welcome, Vaughan said.

Eulls' mother said she was a little shocked by the incident.

"When he tackled her to get the gun, he could've got shot you know -- she could've shot him. ... His career could've been ruined for the rest of his life," Ora Eulls told HLN's Mike Galanos. Video Watch Eulls' mother talk about the incident »

"I told him I was proud of him, we all was proud of him, and I told him don't ever scare me like that again, because he did a tremendous thing saving 23 lives, plus he put his life in danger for their lives."

Since Tuesday, the high school and police office have been flooded with calls from the media and the public seeking more information on Yazoo County's hometown hero.

"Things could've got real ugly, and there would've been a lot of grieving families in Yazoo County right now," Vaughan said. "I'm just extremely glad this young man took the bull by the horns and stopped a potentially deadly situation."

Vaughan said he couldn't be more pleased with the situation -- especially when he learned that Eulls was bound for Mississippi State.

From the clocks and banners decorating his office to the screen saver on his computer, Vaughan is a Bulldogs fan through and through.
advertisement

"I'll be tickled to see him on the field. You can see in his body makeup he's extremely strong and fast, and not only is he strong in body, he's strong in mind and in his heart," the sheriff said.

"He's one of the most humble 18-year-olds you will ever see. He's a great kid, and if he maintains his mind-set as he has it now, he'll go a long ways."

Ballsy kid.  Shame he is going to end up at Mississippi State though.

HisMajestyBOB

This is why teenage girls make shitty serial killers. Hell, she'd probably spook and drop the gun after firing it once.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Octavian

So an 18 year old  6-foot-4-inch, 255-pound guy tackles af little 14 year girl and gets called a hero...only in America  :rolleyes:
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Jaron

Quote from: Octavian on September 15, 2009, 03:48:42 AM
So an 18 year old  6-foot-4-inch, 255-pound guy tackles af little 14 year girl and gets called a hero...only in America  :rolleyes:

Man, fuck you. Do you get nose bleed way up there on that high horse?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

BVN

Being contrary?

MadBurgerMaker

3/5  Average to above average.

Agelastus

The gun makes the difference, although I agree that the image is somewhat outre.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grey Fox

I hope he screamed "Boom shakalaka boom" after tackling her.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Jaron on September 15, 2009, 03:51:28 AM

Man, fuck you. Do you get nose bleed way up there on that high horse?
:D

A classic statement!

Neil

:lol:

Nice Martinus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 15, 2009, 04:03:48 AM

3/5  Average to above average.
I would give it a 4/5 myself.  Definitely above-average for a Languish mock troll.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

So the 6' 4" football player is only vulnerable to bullets shot by a 17-21 year old?

Marty, your socks are showing.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 15, 2009, 08:09:37 AM
So the 6' 4" football player is only vulnerable to bullets shot by a 17-21 year old?

Marty, your socks are showing.
Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!