News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I'm done with free radio...

Started by garbon, September 11, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2009, 04:34:30 PM
I was astonished to find that there was still a non-NPR radio station with employees.  Most FM stations (except the talk ones) seem to be just robotic re-broadcasts of tapes made by master stations, and have maybe one employee to maintain the building.
Up here cities have their own broadcasters.  There are a number of competing morning shows in each city, for example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2009, 06:36:11 PM
Up here cities have their own broadcasters.  There are a number of competing morning shows in each city, for example.

We've several competing morning shows as well.  Until recently, there were 5 that I'd flip between.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Go satellite. It's impossible to let your money do the talking for you with the corporate sponsorship model of free radio. If the sponsors do well, the radio station does well; if the sponsors tank, the station tanks. With satellite, you can pull the plug on your membership fee in this kind of situation and just let accounts receivable put the heat on the program managers. :contract:

Also, you've gone up several points in my book with the Sean Paul and Soulja Boy comment. :hug:
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I was astonished to find that there was still a non-NPR radio station with employees.  Most FM stations (except the talk ones) seem to be just robotic re-broadcasts of tapes made by master stations, and have maybe one employee to maintain the building.

It's kinda sad ain't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: PRC on September 11, 2009, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2009, 03:00:01 PM
Also, no one should ever be subjected to Sean Paul and Soulja Boy...let alone on their morning commute. :angry:

I like that Sean Paul video where they're having a party in the basement and they start banging on the furnace and the old guy kicks everyone out.  WTF were they having a party in his house anyways?

It's called, conveniently, a house party. Pretty popular with the caribbean community in the frozen north.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on September 12, 2009, 11:31:30 PM
Quote from: PRC on September 11, 2009, 03:04:13 PM
I like that Sean Paul video where they're having a party in the basement and they start banging on the furnace and the old guy kicks everyone out.  WTF were they having a party in his house anyways?

It's called, conveniently, a house party. Pretty popular with the caribbean community in the frozen north.

I don't think that's the question he was asking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 12, 2009, 11:32:55 PM
I don't think that's the question he was asking.

Maybe he should ask again in French.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2009, 06:36:11 PM

I just want to know which motherfucker first decided that people wanted to hear Spanky and Woodchuck on the Morning  Zoo laugh at stupid sound effects and use funny voices at 6:00 in the morning;  I never want to hear that, much less before I have even had any coffee yet.

The Brain

I don't listen to talk radio. If I want insane drivel I can talk to friends or relatives.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points