Are you a typical <insert birth order> child?

Started by merithyn, September 11, 2009, 01:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where are you in the birth order of your family?

oldest
middle
youngest
only child
Other - explain

merithyn

I was reading an interesting article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/health/08klas.html) on birth order and how important it is or isn't in determining a child's personality. I am a middle child, and I really don't think that I am a "typical" middle child to be honest. I'm not sure if that's because of the unusual circumstances that I grew up in (middle of three biological child, second from the youngest of six kids in my foster home), or if it's as the author suggests: birth order only affects you if you let it do so.

Where are you in the birth order, and do you fit the personality type as listed here? http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/birth_order.htm And do you think where you are in the family compared to your siblings has helped to make you who you are today?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Sure my youngest sister and I allied against my middle sister. However time has change things. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Typical:
    *  Pampered and spoiled.
    * Feels incompetent because adults are more capable.
    * Is center of attention; often enjoys position. May feel special.
    * Self-centered.
    * Relies on service from others rather than own efforts
    * Feels unfairly treated when doesn't get own way.
    * May refuse to cooperate.
    * Plays "divide and conquer" to get own way.

Reality:
    * Feels incompetent because adults are more capable.
    * Self-centered.
    * Feels unfairly treated when doesn't get own way.
    * May refuse to cooperate.

Adding one:
increased sense of autonomy.

Being left to yourself means you learn to things yourself and be the one blamed whenever something goes wrong.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I fit the first child pretty good if you mix some aspect of the Only Child.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2009, 01:05:31 PM
I am a middle child, and I really don't think that I am a "typical" middle child to be honest.

Of course not; middle children are bastards.

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2009, 01:09:10 PM
I fit the first child pretty good if you mix some aspect of the Only Child.

The only child is just like the first child turned up to 11 anyway.

Grey Fox

True. I'm a first child that had a little sister for 7 years & then became an Only child.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

swallow

Third of four.  I can't say exactly how middle kids are different, but we do have a different outlook on life and we are a dieing breed.  Married one!

Malthus

Youngest of three and the birth order stuff does not fit me particularly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jos Theelen

I am the 4th of 7 children. Thus a very middle child. I liked it, older children to protect you , and younger children to bully.

The Brain

I'm the youngest child of a youngest child of an almost youngest child (like 11th of 13 or somesuch) and I am extremely intelligent, empathic, witty, pleasant, dependable and kind of cute. Make of this what you will.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Korea

I consider my self a youngest child but I have 2 very younger half siblings from my dads second marriage. I don't really have much to do with them so it doesn't really feel like I have any younger siblings. I definitely fit the younger child stereotype. I'm such a baby and a brat.
I want my mother fucking points!

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2009, 01:13:57 PM
True. I'm a first child that had a little sister for 7 years & then became an Only child.

Huh? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 11, 2009, 01:43:59 PM
I'm the youngest child of a youngest child of an almost youngest child (like 11th of 13 or somesuch)

In which direction? Matrilineally, I'm the eldest child of eldest children going back 4 generations.  I was supposed to be a girl. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2009, 02:02:34 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 11, 2009, 01:43:59 PM
I'm the youngest child of a youngest child of an almost youngest child (like 11th of 13 or somesuch)

In which direction? Matrilineally, I'm the eldest child of eldest children going back 4 generations.

The one that matters.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 11, 2009, 02:03:04 PM
The one that matters.

Well fathers don't play an important role in development so...