News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama's Heckling Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2009, 05:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

The GOPtards are going to all lengths to illegitimize Obama's Presidency every chance they get.  I'm surprised someone didn't start humming the theme to Sanford & Son when he was walking to the podium.

QuoteThe Republican Response, Arriving a Little Early

By Dana Milbank
Thursday, September 10, 2009

As President Obama addressed a joint session of Congress on Wednesday night, the nation's rapidly deteriorating discourse hit yet another low.

It happened at 8:40 pm, just after the president vowed to lawmakers that his health-care reform proposals would not provide benefits to illegal immigrants. As millions of Americans watched from home, Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) shouted at the president from his fifth-row seat: "You lie!"

Murmurs of "ooh" filled the stunned chamber. Nancy Pelosi's chin dropped. Obama moved on to the next sentence in his speech, about how no federal money would be used to fund abortion. "Not true!" came another shout.

The national debate, already raw for years, had coarsened over the summer as town hall meetings across the country dissolved into protests about "death panels" and granny-killing. Guns were brought to Obama appearances. A pastor in Arizona said he was praying for Obama to die.

But even by that standard, there was something appalling about the display on the House floor for what was supposed to be a sacred ritual of American democracy: the nation watching while Cabinet members, lawmakers from both chambers and the diplomatic corps assembled.

Wilson was only the most flagrant. There was booing from House Republicans when the president caricatured a conservative argument by saying they would "leave individuals to buy health insurance on their own." They hissed when he protested their "scare tactics." They grumbled as they do in Britain's House of Commons when Obama spoke of the "blizzard of charges and countercharges."

When he asserted that "nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have," there was scoffing and outright laughter on the GOP side. Rep. Jeb Hensarling (Tex.) shook his head in disbelief. Several Republicans shouted "What plan?" and Rep. Louis Gohmert (Tex.) waved at Obama a handwritten poster he made on a letter-size piece of paper: "WHAT PLAN?" Gohmert then took that down and replaced it with another handmade poster that said "WHAT BILL?"

The irony was that Obama had used his speech to offer a significant concession to Republicans and to break with liberals in his own party. There was a cool silence in the chamber as the president told "my progressive friends" that the "public option" they treasure as part of health-care reform could be sacrificed in favor of other ideas.

And, in truth, there were provocations from the Democratic side. Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), sitting on the Republican side, insisted on making a victory sign with his hand and waving it at Obama. Rep. Al Green (D-Tex.), also on the GOP side of the aisle, felt the need to pound his fist in the air and make what looked, awkwardly, like a fascist salute.

Scolding Republicans for scoring "short-term political points," Obama wasn't subtle in his effort to make his foes look cruel. The White House stocked the first lady's box at the speech with a virtual medical ward: a woman with sarcoidosis, a colon cancer patient, a recurrent cancer survivor, a double amputee, two women with breast tumors, a woman with eye problems, a man with high cholesterol, two brain tumor survivors, the son of a brain cancer victim and the fathers of children who have seizures and hemophilia.

But while the majority of both parties' lawmakers behaved as adults, the insolence by House Republicans stole the show. There was derisive laughter on that side of the chamber when Obama noted that "there remain some significant details to be ironed out." They applauded as he spoke of "all the misinformation that's been spread over the past few months." They laughed again when he said that "many Americans have grown nervous about reform."

When Obama addressed the charge that he plans "panels of bureaucrats with the power to kill off senior citizens," someone on the GOP side shouted out "shame!" The president went on: "Such a charge would be laughable if it weren't so cynical." "Read the bill!" someone shouted back. Obama mentioned those who accuse him of a government takeover of health care. "It's true," someone shouted back.

The antics continued when Obama urged opponents to "come to me with a serious set of proposals." About 20 Republican members raised copies of the GOP health-reform proposal over their heads. They raised their props again when Obama criticized those who think "it's better politics to kill this plan than improve it."

Even as Obama delivered a tribute to the late senator Ted Kennedy, Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga), a leader of House conservatives, perused his BlackBerry. Shortly before the speech ended, Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) walked out to beat the rush.

Above all, though, was Wilson's effrontery. From the reaction in the chamber -- one Democrat could be heard calling for him to be thrown out -- Wilson knew he had stepped in it. He shrugged, then consulted his BlackBerry. He puffed out his cheeks to exhale and licked his lips.

Toward the end of Obama's speech, the text of which was handed out before the congressman's outburst, was a fitting rebuke of the sort of behavior Wilson had just exhibited. When "we can no longer even engage in a civil conversation with each other over the things that truly matter," Obama said, "we don't merely lose our capacity to solve big challenges. We lose something essential about ourselves."

As Obama spoke these words, Wilson twiddled his thumbs, then took his BlackBerry from its holster to consult it yet again. The speech ended, and, as his colleagues applauded, Wilson beat a hasty retreat.

An incensed White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel went up to GOP Reps. Roy Blunt (Mo.) and Paul Ryan (Wis.) to complain about the outburst. "No president has ever had that happen," Emanuel said. "My advice is he apologize immediately. You know my number."

Wilson did as Emanuel advised. After all that shouting, it's a wonder he wasn't too hoarse to place the call.

Neil

Well, it seems like America is finally demystifying their president.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Wow, such lack of respect from the GOP. Bush got better than this.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 10, 2009, 06:02:43 AM
Well, it seems like America is finally demystifying their president.

Nah, just the black ones.

Hansmeister

When you call a joint session of Congress for a political stunt and deliver a laughably dishonest speech why should they suck up to him?  Dear Leader just can't get enough of himself on TV.

As long as the GOP doesn't bring in some Code Pink hecklers during a real State of the Union speech they will not have sunk to the low level of decorum that the Democrats display.  Kinda funny at how CdM is blustering up his phony outrage.

Vince

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 10, 2009, 06:22:58 AM
When you call a joint session of Congress for a political stunt and deliver a laughably dishonest speech why should they suck up to him?  Dear Leader just can't get enough of himself on TV.

As long as the GOP doesn't bring in some Code Pink hecklers during a real State of the Union speech they will not have sunk to the low level of decorum that the Democrats display.  Kinda funny at how CdM is blustering up his phony outrage.

I wonder if the Republicans will actually enforce their own rules...

QuoteReferences to the Senate or Executive Branch

Until the 109th Congress, it was not in order to make certain references to the Senate or individual senators. However, at the beginning of that Congress, the House removed the prohibition on making references to the Senate, leaving only the requirement that debate be confined to the question under debate and avoid "personality." The precedents of the House allow a wide latitude in criticism of the President, other executive officials, and the government itself. However, it is not permissible to use language that is personally offensive to the President, such as referring to him as a "hypocrite" or a "liar." Similarly, it is not in order to refer to the President as "intellectually dishonest" or an action taken by the President as "cowardly." References to the Vice President, in spite of his role as President of the Senate, are measured against the standard used for the President rather than prior standards used to govern the Senate.

Categories of Unparliamentary Speech

Defaming or degrading the House
Criticism of the Speaker's personal conduct
Impugning the motives of another Member
Charging falsehood or deception
Claiming lack of intelligence or knowledge
References to race, creed, or prejudice
Charges related to loyalty or patriotism

Committee on Rules - Republicans

U.S. House of Representatives
1627 Longworth Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

PHONE: (202) 225-9191
FAX: (202) 225-6763
EMAIL: Rules.Rs@mail.house.gov

Razgovory

If Wilson had pulled a gun and shot at the President your argument would not change one word.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

There's a difference between outside hecklers and elected representatives calling each other liars.  Of course, you're German, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

Wow such a high standard of integrity you hold your own party to.  Hilarious you excuse and even endorse this bullshit.  You are no different than the most moronic leftist and to even pretend differently is dillusional.  Political discourse in this country is really going to shit and it was never strong to begin with.  I guess that is a victory for the Hansies of the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2009, 05:52:02 AM
As Obama spoke these words, Wilson twiddled his thumbs, then took his BlackBerry from its holster to consult it yet again.

:punk:  Now this is *my* style of 'heckling'.

I do think we owe it to the Dems to give Obama the same level of respect & loyalty they showed Boosh.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2009, 09:20:30 AM
I do think we owe it to the Dems to give Obama the same level of respect & loyalty they showed Boosh.

In the words of Cincinnatus: if you act no better than the Plebs you are no better than the Plebs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

As Obama spoke these words, Wilson twiddled his thumbs, then took his BlackBerry from its holster to consult it yet again.

I'm glad that you want your fellows to be so amendable to Mr. Obama.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

I don't think anyone should be surprised by the classless behavior of Republicans, at this point. That the Democrats may have been equally classless at some point is a rather pathetic excuse.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2009, 09:22:45 AM
In the words of Cincinnatus: if you act no better than the Plebs you are no better than the Plebs.

I'm sick of the 'high road' approach.  All it does is make you irrelevant in politics these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Vince

Ooooooh just want until Obama sees what I wrote about him on Twitter!  *tap* *tap* *tap*