News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How does the real world work?

Started by Josquius, September 07, 2009, 02:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2009, 06:26:53 AMIf you've no life though then that can last for...err...life.

You should have made more friends while you had the chance.   Now it's too late.  :(

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on September 08, 2009, 06:59:16 AM
I don't get it.  Books have been written about getting a social life, getting friends, settling in new cities etc too.  But you know what, without a job and a source of income, your prospects of finding decent friends and "getting a life" aren't terribly good.  Get your priorities right.
Except this is a situation where the job is already sorted.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on September 08, 2009, 01:27:24 AM
In university, the professor tells you to go left, you go left, and he'll give you an A. 

In the real world, the boss tells you to go left.  If you go left, come back and tell the boss that you wrecked the car and he is responsible, he'll kill you. 

If you scout ahead, find out that he is wrong, then come back and tell him that, he'll still kill you. 

What you need to do is to praise his infinite wisdom, then go right, and tell everybody that he was right all along. 

I'd like to say that this is what's wrong with the public sector, but I think it's more an example of what's wrong with Chinese culture.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2009, 07:18:11 AM

Except this is a situation where the job is already sorted.

Excellent.  Why didn't you say so?

Then what exactly is the problem?

KRonn

In a job you may make some friends, but most will likely be work friends that you don't do stuff outside of work with. If you work in an environment with many people your age and place in life, then you may make more friends. In other places with a more varied/diverse workers of all ages, married with kids, etc, people are busy so you may not have as much chance for outside work friends. That just depends, like any social interaction. You'll want to do activities outside work that you enjoy, health club, or other hobbies, and meet people there. It will be a big change from University life, but you'll get used to it and be fine.

Grey Fox

The real world doesn't really work, it just "happens", one minute at a time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Methinks that if you even need to ask this question, you're going to have serious issues adjusting.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Warspite

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2009, 08:46:07 AM
Methinks that if you even need to ask this question, you're going to have serious issues adjusting.

Actually, I wondered this same thing too - the way you meet people at university is so different to 'the real world', what does one do outside of the big kindergarten for adults? And I know people who've really struggled to adjust - they keep in their university cliques even four years after graduation.

Tyr: making friends at work can happen, and they can be very good friends too. But it is difficult to count upon it, for reasons given by others here. Other than that, the best way to make new friends is get out there and meet people. Join clubs. Start a hobby you have to do in a group. Join a sports team. Go to parties: outside of university, friends of friends are the easiest way to meet new people.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Strix

Get ALL the PUSSY you can while at school. It won't be there for you once you get out! (well, it will be, you just won't have much of a chance of meeting it).
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

Quote from: Strix on September 08, 2009, 09:04:02 AM
Get ALL the PUSSY you can while at school. It won't be there for you once you get out! (well, it will be, you just won't have much of a chance of meeting it).
:yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Man I found it far easier to get pussy out of school.  Having a job and stuff really helped.  I envy you guys that actually got some action in school.  When I was in college the women just wasted my time really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

It is indeed much, much easier to meet women in university than otherwise. And of course for women to meet men likewise.

In the olden days, pre-feminism, that was a large part of the point for women going to uni (the "M.R.S. Degree").
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2009, 09:13:12 AM
In the olden days, pre-feminism, that was a large part of the point for women going to uni (the "M.R.S. Degree").

This is still true.  It just with feminism around they will try to get another degree also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

to meet women at any age, you just need some time, interest and money.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Monoriu on September 08, 2009, 06:59:16 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2009, 06:26:53 AM

True, getting a job is the big obvious and immediate fear.
But its one which books have been written on the subject of solving. Its not a sneaky little hidden problem. Also once its sorted its sorted. If you've no life though then that can last for...err...life.

I don't get it.  Books have been written about getting a social life, getting friends, settling in new cities etc too.  But you know what, without a job and a source of income, your prospects of finding decent friends and "getting a life" aren't terribly good.  Get your priorities right.

sure. friends are a very valuable piece of the network for getting work. since you have had one job your whole life (and no friends?), you don't appreciate the financial value of friendship.
humans were created in their own image