News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How does the real world work?

Started by Josquius, September 07, 2009, 02:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 07, 2009, 08:42:27 PM
Right now I'm starting to go into: accumulate enough money to buy a flat; except replace "flat" by house.

It is not as easy as that, I found.  If you put your mind to living below your means, very soon your bank account will be flooded.  And then you wake up in the middle of the night because you begin to worry about things like inflation and stock market crashes.  Having money is not without its worries. 

Then you gotta make decisions on how much money do you want to spend, where to buy, when to buy, etc.  These decisions will affect the rest of your life.  You only have one shot, and you have to make it count. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 08:49:42 PM
It is not as easy as that, I found.  If you put your mind to living below your means, very soon your bank account will be flooded.  And then you wake up in the middle of the night because you begin to worry about things like inflation and stock market crashes.  Having money is not without its worries. 

Then you gotta make decisions on how much money do you want to spend, where to buy, when to buy, etc.  These decisions will affect the rest of your life.  You only have one shot, and you have to make it count. 

Of course, you could always tone down the crazy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alcibiades

I'm kinda in the same boat, but with school.  Kind of easier for me because of school and all.... But really I was very open with the fact that I didn't know anybody and if anyone's doing anything...

Some people respond favorably, other people look at you funny.  :lol:

Conclusion though, I'm getting out and meeting people.   :cool:

Just put yourself out there to the singles near you at work, or start joining random stuff that somewhat interests you or you might be good at.  For instance I joined a run club here on campus, don't particularly enjoy it all that much, but I'm good at it.  :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

dps

How does the real world work?  It's pretty simple.  After you get out of school, you spend a number of years doing work that you don't particularly like with people you don't particularly like, for pay which you don't think is high enough.  Eventually, you die, and a hundred years later, everyone that you have ever known and cared about is dead and no-one remembers you.

DisturbedPervert

I've heard you can usually make new friends in public parks late at night, gas stations, bus depots, truck stops, restrooms, etc.

Monoriu

In university, the professor tells you to go left, you go left, and he'll give you an A. 

In the real world, the boss tells you to go left.  If you go left, come back and tell the boss that you wrecked the car and he is responsible, he'll kill you. 

If you scout ahead, find out that he is wrong, then come back and tell him that, he'll still kill you. 

What you need to do is to praise his infinite wisdom, then go right, and tell everybody that he was right all along. 

Jaron

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 08:32:41 PM

Whether I could pass probation;

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jaron on September 08, 2009, 01:46:02 AM

Noun
Singular
probation
  Plural
probations

probation (plural probations)

A period of time when a person occupies a position only conditionally and may easily be removed for poor performance

You'll be on probation for first six months. After that, if you work out, they'll hire you permanently.

Jaron

Quote from: Monoriu on September 08, 2009, 01:56:29 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 08, 2009, 01:46:02 AM

Noun
Singular
probation
  Plural
probations

probation (plural probations)

A period of time when a person occupies a position only conditionally and may easily be removed for poor performance

You'll be on probation for first six months. After that, if you work out, they'll hire you permanently.

a trial period during which an offender has time to redeem himself or herself

:contract:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 08, 2009, 01:27:24 AM
In university, the professor tells you to go left, you go left, and he'll give you an A. 

In the real world, the boss tells you to go left.  If you go left, come back and tell the boss that you wrecked the car and he is responsible, he'll kill you. 

If you scout ahead, find out that he is wrong, then come back and tell him that, he'll still kill you. 

What you need to do is to praise his infinite wisdom, then go right, and tell everybody that he was right all along. 

Sorry, but I don't buy this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2009, 02:34:22 AM

Sorry, but I don't buy this.

Well, I probably would have said the same thing 7 or 8 years ago :lol:

Liep

Quote from: dps on September 07, 2009, 11:57:34 PM
How does the real world work?  It's pretty simple.  After you get out of school, you spend a number of years doing work that you don't particularly like with people you don't particularly like, for pay which you don't think is high enough.  Eventually, you die, and a hundred years later, everyone that you have ever known and cared about is dead and no-one remembers you.

If you're lucky a grandchild will name a kid after you, if you have a cool name. :hug:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

When I was in university, the most pressing and most urgent problem was to find a job.  When that was solved, the matters that occupied my minds were -

True, getting a job is the big obvious and immediate fear.
But its one which books have been written on the subject of solving. Its not a sneaky little hidden problem. Also once its sorted its sorted. If you've no life though then that can last for...err...life.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2009, 06:26:53 AM

True, getting a job is the big obvious and immediate fear.
But its one which books have been written on the subject of solving. Its not a sneaky little hidden problem. Also once its sorted its sorted. If you've no life though then that can last for...err...life.

I don't get it.  Books have been written about getting a social life, getting friends, settling in new cities etc too.  But you know what, without a job and a source of income, your prospects of finding decent friends and "getting a life" aren't terribly good.  Get your priorities right.