Is a Confederate uniform an inappropriate halloween costume?

Started by Faeelin, September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 06, 2009, 11:27:42 PM
Yes but make it a ZOMBIE Confederate

Like the ghost of dead conferate soldiers? Nothing bad could come from that...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 11:32:55 PM

"I found the current GOP so appealing I had to come back."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on September 06, 2009, 11:33:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 11:32:55 PM

"I found the current GOP so appealing I had to come back."

I think the dress of the KKK came from them initially claiming to be the ghosts of dead confederate soldiers when they intimidated/attacked their victims.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 11:40:09 PM
I think the dress of the KKK came from them initially claiming to be the ghosts of dead confederate soldiers when they intimidated/attacked their victims.

Given how the war was about tariffs and states' rights, that's weird.

Kleves

In 6th grade each kid in my class had to pick a hero from American history and come to school dressed up as them. I picked Robert E. Lee.   -_-
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

I don't think it's appropriate even for Civil War reenactments.

Crazy_Ivan80

maybe if you make it a zombie-halloween-costume... It'll be at least a bit halloween-scary then.
As it is normally a confederate uniform isn't scary enough to stop a brigade of union soldiers from burning down atlanta.

Syt

I was photgraphed in Confederate uniform at a themepark in Germany once (they make the picture look like from the period). Unfortunately, I don't have the picture anymore, which may be just as well as the uniform was highly inaccurate.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

If I wanted to dress as a Celtic Warrior, what kind of shoes would I use? What would I use to dye my hair and make it stick up like the Celts? I could just use pajama bottoms with pajama bottoms featuring a tartan, and some tattoos, and maybe a gold necklace of some sort, but what kind of sandals or boots would they wear?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on September 07, 2009, 01:21:45 AM
If I wanted to dress as a Celtic Warrior, what kind of shoes would I use? What would I use to dye my hair and make it stick up like the Celts? I could just use pajama bottoms with pajama bottoms featuring a tartan, and some tattoos, and maybe a gold necklace of some sort, but what kind of sandals or boots would they wear?

Go-Go boots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on September 06, 2009, 11:41:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 11:40:09 PM

Given how the war was about tariffs and states' rights, that's weird.

States don't have rights.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on September 07, 2009, 01:21:45 AM

Or go for the cheap alternative:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Heh.  It just occurred to me.  According to Lettow's ideology a Celtic warrior and a Confederate warrior are the same thing!

So I encourage both Faeelin and Queequeg to wear the same outfit.  Some kind of amalgamation of ancient Celt and Confederate.  A gray tunic with brass buttons and epaulettes, a white skirt, military boots with spurs and a big winged helmet.