Is a Confederate uniform an inappropriate halloween costume?

Started by Faeelin, September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, my father was a civil war reenactor when he was younger, and still has his costume around. I'm debating wearing it to school for a Halloween party, but am worried some people will cry about it.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Habbaku

The people in your school that would cry about it are exactly the sorts worth offending.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 11:20:44 PM
I wouldn't wear it.

Yea, I kind of agree, but I feel it's a shame to let it go to waste. I was kinda curious if people see it as an incredibly offensive emblem.

But I suspect I'd end up on ATL if I wore it.

Monoriu

Quote from: Faeelin on September 06, 2009, 11:21:17 PM
I wouldn't wear it.

Yea, I kind of agree, but I feel it's a shame to let it go to waste. I was kinda curious if people see it as an incredibly offensive emblem.

The problem is if only a few people find it offensive, you'll be in needless trouble.  It is not worth the risk, as there are countless other alternatives.

Lettow77

My opinion on the general part of this neednt be said, so i'll only say that I seldom avoid things because a small minority might take exception, or that doing what I want to do or what I feel is right could cause controversy.

And isnt a certain amount of to-do and controversy ideal at a party? You'll be the belle of the ball, as it were.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2009, 11:23:22 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 06, 2009, 11:21:17 PM
I wouldn't wear it.

The problem is if only a few people find it offensive, you'll be in needless trouble.  It is not worth the risk, as there are countless other alternatives.

What would happen if you wore a Republic of China type uniform to work?

DisturbedPervert