News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

S.F. is gearing up for bike lane plans

Started by garbon, March 24, 2009, 11:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 05, 2014, 07:11:59 AM
They don't stick with them. They go on the sidewalks and they blow through red lights and stop signs and just act like tools.

I rather they use the sidewalks than the streets.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 05, 2014, 07:11:59 AM
They don't stick with them. They go on the sidewalks and they blow through red lights and stop signs and just act like tools.
When there is a proper network of bike lanes ala Holland they do.  When things are done in the verey patchy style that is common in the UK...well you often have to go onto the pavement, bike lines start and end rather irregularly.

A big thing I hate and always see in Japan- towns install bike lanes....but decide to plonk lampposts and trees in the middle of them. Not to mention lazy motorists who use them as convenient parking spots. :ultra:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2014, 07:50:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 07:40:42 AM
Pedestrians are generally slow moving and not that big of an issue. Bicyclists really suck for both pedestrians and motorists.
Pedestrians cut into the road without looking. They hear cars so don't step out nearly as much, but because cyclists are quiet (sometimes they've time to shout) they've got to swerve to avoid pedestrians or crash.

Cabbies are horrible, very aggressive drivers - bus drivers are great.

Or they could just leave their bicycles at home. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

What really pisses me off is when someone thinks they need to take their bike onto a crowded subway during rush hour. Which is not allowed during the high traffic hours, but of course no one would tell them to get off the train (because one thing Viennese hate more than people acting like jackasses is getting involved with people they don't know - also, it gives them something to grumble and be indignant about, which is always welcome).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2014, 08:28:19 AM
What really pisses me off is when someone thinks they need to take their bike onto a crowded subway during rush hour. Which is not allowed during the high traffic hours, but of course no one would tell them to get off the train (because one thing Viennese hate more than people acting like jackasses is getting involved with people they don't know - also, it gives them something to grumble and be indignant about, which is always welcome).

When did Vienna have a sudden influx of Londoners/Brits?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2014, 08:30:08 AM

:secret:

Syt had a thread about this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 08:39:39 AM

Not related to you point, but I think many megacities evolve this as a similar sub/part of their culture.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2014, 08:46:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 08:39:39 AM

Not related to you point, but I think many megacities evolve this as a similar sub/part of their culture.

Actually my point in the mentioned thread is that I thought grumbling was a common activity in many cities*. :P

*though not specifically about getting involved with people they don't know, though I agree with that too.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 03:33:55 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 24, 2009, 03:31:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 02:28:50 PM
Only an ignorant fool would say such a thing.
Meh. As much as I like driving, I hate sharing the streets with other drivers even more. I rarely use my car for anything but work.
And there's always the track if I want to floor the gas (karting is great fun).
Cars are required for life in the western part of North America.

Does it need to be that way? I live ~10 miles from work and at rush hour it takes me ~40-45 minutes to get to the office. If I had a safe option, I could bike the 10 miles, probably faster.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 03:33:55 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 24, 2009, 03:31:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 02:28:50 PM
Only an ignorant fool would say such a thing.
Meh. As much as I like driving, I hate sharing the streets with other drivers even more. I rarely use my car for anything but work.
And there's always the track if I want to floor the gas (karting is great fun).
Cars are required for life in the western part of North America.

I wont quarrel with you that cars are required if you live in the middle of nowhere - say Edmonton.  But if you live in a civilized region - say the Pacific coast - getting around by bike is a convenient, enjoyable and in many ways the preferred option so long as the distance travelled is reasonable.

The last time we were in SF we rented some bikes to tour the city.  It was great fun.  The city already seems bike friendly so I am not sure what the big uproar is about.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2014, 12:16:29 PM
I wont quarrel with you that cars are required if you live in the middle of nowhere - say Edmonton.  But if you live in a civilized region - say the Pacific coast - getting around by bike is a convenient, enjoyable and in many ways the preferred option so long as the distance travelled is reasonable.

Most of the pacific coast requires a car.

The last time we were in SF we rented some bikes to tour the city.  It was great fun.  The city already seems bike friendly so I am not sure what the big uproar is about.

Well my complaint is now 5 years old.

Duque de Bragança

:secret: Another common Germanic heritage between Germany and Austria! Do they do it in trams as well?

Jacob

Vancouver got a bunch of bike lanes recently. I think they're great :)

Sheilbh

My friends in the US say it's way more of a political issue over there. I remember that WSJ interview and the row between a couple of pedestrians and a cyclist in DC and I think it's probably yet another front in the culture wars.
Let's bomb Russia!