News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

S.F. is gearing up for bike lane plans

Started by garbon, March 24, 2009, 11:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2009, 02:05:15 PM
:bleeding: = I'm so glad this smilie is back.
There is hope on Languish becoming the cuddly place it used to be, or was it that cuddly?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 02:28:50 PM
Only an ignorant fool would say such a thing.
Meh. As much as I like driving, I hate sharing the streets with other drivers even more. I rarely use my car for anything but work.
And there's always the track if I want to floor the gas (karting is great fun).

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on March 24, 2009, 03:31:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 02:28:50 PM
Only an ignorant fool would say such a thing.
Meh. As much as I like driving, I hate sharing the streets with other drivers even more. I rarely use my car for anything but work.
And there's always the track if I want to floor the gas (karting is great fun).
Cars are required for life in the western part of North America.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

I'm probably going to begin biking to and from work two days a week starting this spring.  I'd try to do it more often, but I need to have the car with me to pick up my daughters several nights a week.
and the horse you rode in on

Darth Wagtaros

My city spent tens of thousands of dollars putting in bike lanes last year. I loath them. And the bike people who use them.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Fuck cyclists & their bycles.

That said, having their own lanes is a good thing. I'm tired of having to share the proper lanes with them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

They don't stick with them. They go on the sidewalks and they blow through red lights and stop signs and just act like tools.
PDH!

mongers

I can see this working if it's part of a planned integrated transport system, rather than a tick box exercise along the lines of "hey we put in 50 miles of bike lines" and just putting these things all over the place. 

Oh and the bike riders / hipsters need to follow the rules of the road for it to pay dividends in the long run.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Vienna does a lot for cyclists. However, some cyclists are assholes (same as motorists or pedestrians). Anyways, the main shopping street has recently been turned into a pedestrian area that looks like this, from one end of the street to the other:

[normal street] - ["encounter zone"*] - [pedestrian zone, with bike traffic permitted] - [normal street] - [encounter zone] - [normal street]

*cars, bikes and pedestrians have equal rights on the street

The sidewalks in this street are already 15 to 20 feet wide. Now a two lane street (four lanes, if you count the parking bays) has been added. Result: pedestrians stick to the sidewalks, and the cyclists race through the street like there's no tomorrow. Basically, the "pedestrian area" is a glorified high speed bicycle road:wacko:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Cyclists are pretentious and arrogant as a rule.
PDH!

Liep

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 05, 2014, 07:18:30 AM
Cyclists are pretentious and arrogant as a rule.

You should visit Copenhagen, there's no pretentioness or arrogance involved with cycling, and less than 30% are assholes, but I guess that's the standard figure for everyone in traffic.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2014, 07:12:30 AM
I can see this working if it's part of a planned integrated transport system, rather than a tick box exercise along the lines of "hey we put in 50 miles of bike lines" and just putting these things all over the place.
I think you mean if it's not part of a plan :P

I agree. There's lots more to do in London but the progress here's been enormous.

QuoteOh and the bike riders / hipsters need to follow the rules of the road for it to pay dividends in the long run.
But that goes both ways taxi drivers and pedestrians are also very bad at not following the rules.

Generally I've never had a problem with cyclists.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Pedestrians are generally slow moving and not that big of an issue. Bicyclists really suck for both pedestrians and motorists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 07:40:42 AM
Pedestrians are generally slow moving and not that big of an issue. Bicyclists really suck for both pedestrians and motorists.
Pedestrians cut into the road without looking. They hear cars so don't step out nearly as much, but because cyclists are quiet (sometimes they've time to shout) they've got to swerve to avoid pedestrians or crash.

Cabbies are horrible, very aggressive drivers - bus drivers are great.
Let's bomb Russia!