British citizen creates national uproar in Quebec

Started by viper37, September 04, 2009, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zoupa on September 06, 2009, 12:21:00 AM
Canada is a federation, where provinces decide a lot of things.

What a lot of you guys don't seem to get is that Quebec is unilingual francophone. That's a fact. There's really no point in complaining when you don't get served in english. 90% of the population is francophone and a big chunk of that doesn't speak english, especially out in the countryside.

There's no real incentive for them to learn english. There's even less incentive for them to serve you in english.

Just like you shouldn't expect to be served in english in a small town in turkey, china, italy or wherever.

On parle francais icitte. Calisse.
We understand that, but this doctor knew English, and simply refused to speak it to this family.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Doctors are assholes everywhere in the world. It's just easier when they can hide behind a language barrier.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 06, 2009, 12:33:48 AM
Doctors are assholes everywhere in the world. It's just easier when they can hide behind a language barrier.
:huh: Doctors in Rhode Island aren't.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2009, 12:26:49 AM

What a lot of you guys don't seem to get is that Quebec is unilingual francophone. That's a fact. There's really no point in complaining when you don't get served in english. 90% of the population is francophone and a big chunk of that doesn't speak english, especially out in the countryside.

There's no real incentive for them to learn english. There's even less incentive for them to serve you in english.

Just like you shouldn't expect to be served in english in a small town in turkey, china, italy or wherever.

We understand that, but this doctor knew English, and simply refused to speak it to this family.

So? What's your conclusion?

Mine is that the doctor either had a real limited grasp of english, or he was an asshole, or the author is full of shit and embellishing it.

Whatever it is, big fucking deal.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on September 06, 2009, 12:46:00 AM
So? What's your conclusion?

Mine is that the doctor either had a real limited grasp of english, or he was an asshole, or the author is full of shit and embellishing it.

Whatever it is, big fucking deal.

So why does Quebec care?

Or was Viper embellishing? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Btw,  missed a subway train yesterday, because three Quebec backpackers were blocking the entire breadth of the stairs. DOWN WITH QUEBEC! :mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

You guys wouldn't have this problem at all if you had let the US win in 1812.  Quebec would be just a Louisiana in the north.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2009, 01:27:01 AM
You guys wouldn't have this problem at all if you had let the US win in 1812.  Quebec would be just a Louisiana in the north.

A place where black people die because of George Bush's indifference?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

So the real question is, why would anyone visit Quebec?

At least France actually has cool stuff, like Paris and the Arc d'Triumphe and the Louvre and Verdun and unexploded ordnance and all sorts of shit.  Hell, you're even probably closer to an Anglophone safe harbor in Paris than you are in Montreal.  And if you really do think you'd miss a bunch of quaint nationalist assholes being unnecessarily difficult, you can just go to Belgium and talk with some Flems... :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2009, 01:41:24 AM

So the real question is, why would anyone visit Quebec?

At least France actually has cool stuff, like Paris and the Arc d'Triumphe and the Louvre and Verdun and unexploded ordnance and all sorts of shit.  Hell, you're even probably closer to an Anglophone safe harbor in Paris than you are in Montreal.  And if you really do think you'd miss a bunch of quaint nationalist assholes being unnecessarily difficult, you can just go to Belgium and talk with some Flems... :P

at least we flems will talk to you in Dutch, English, French and depending on what type of education they had passable german, spanish or italian and maybe some greek too. So stuff it. :p

The Brain

Swedes speak English even in the countryside. Sorry Quebec, you ARE retarded and backwards.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 05, 2009, 08:46:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2009, 08:09:07 PM
Shelf, when you're talking about a massive government outlay of funds it would be helpful if your justification were a little more substantial than "I think it would be nice."
I don't think it would require a massive government outlay.  If schools in Catalunia can teach in both Spanish and Catalan and ones in Ireland teach both Irish and English then I don't see why Canada wouldn't be able to teach in both French and English.  Especially because I believe there are significantly more French speakers in Canada than there are Irish speakers in Ireland.  So I reject the idea that effective bilingual education would cause a massive outlay. 

I mean even on a small scale Scotland starts teaching the first foreign language at, I believe, 8.  That's relatively recent but hasn't cost an obscene amount.  It's far, far easier to teach a language to a child than it is when they're teenagers and I think that learning a foreign language should be as much a core of education as science, geography, history or anything else.

Yeah but weren't you advocating that the entire country should be bilingual? If people in Catalonia are bilingual it's one thing, but if we applied your previous proposition to Spain, every Spaniard should be bilingual.

Also, it is spelled "Catalonia", not "Catalunia" in English. Spelling it "Catalunia" is nonsensical - it's like saying "Polska" instead of "Poland" in otherwise English-language communication.

Edit: Scrap it. Actually "Catalunia" is even more retarded, since the Catalan word is "Catalunya".

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2009, 01:29:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2009, 01:27:01 AM

A place where black people die because of George Bush's indifference?

Well, I could also settle for white Quebecois dying. Can it be arranged?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2009, 04:31:31 AM
Well, I could also settle for white Quebecois dying. Can it be arranged?

$50

Btw, are you coming to America for the gay march on Washington?