And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Were the Greeks So Clever?

Started by Queequeg, September 02, 2009, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Alexandru H. on September 06, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 03:25:37 PM
How do all of you feel about questioning the extent to which the greeks were actually exceptional. Their cultural achievements were admired and preserved by the Romans, while other empires didn't have similar benefactors.

I would say the Romans are overrated, not the Greeks. The Roman rule destroyed much of the originality of the Greek culture: look at the banquet in "Satyricon": nobody discusses Plato, Homer or other original thinkers; the rich roman patrons are obsessed with mediocre stories, copies of famous sculptures and philosophical discussions that would have made Thales laugh his ass off... nobody in Rome would invest money and patronage for true genius.

The greek great moment was arguably the Hellenistic period. The Roman one is the consummerist age.

Have you taken a survey of current western civilization? Titanic is the film that has accumulated the most awards, Tom Clancy writes best sellers, and Britney Spears is among the top musical performers.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2009, 03:56:40 PM
What's really weird is that we have people who aren't even part of western civilization going on about it.

Since your theory says Western Civilization is something else than the Greek-Roman one, it's clear greeks aren't your intellectual forefathers. I would think the semi-naked celt is a much better ancestor.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 04:00:53 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on September 06, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2009, 03:25:37 PM
How do all of you feel about questioning the extent to which the greeks were actually exceptional. Their cultural achievements were admired and preserved by the Romans, while other empires didn't have similar benefactors.

I would say the Romans are overrated, not the Greeks. The Roman rule destroyed much of the originality of the Greek culture: look at the banquet in "Satyricon": nobody discusses Plato, Homer or other original thinkers; the rich roman patrons are obsessed with mediocre stories, copies of famous sculptures and philosophical discussions that would have made Thales laugh his ass off... nobody in Rome would invest money and patronage for true genius.

The greek great moment was arguably the Hellenistic period. The Roman one is the consummerist age.

Have you taken a survey of current western civilization? Titanic is the film that has accumulated the most awards, Tom Clancy writes best sellers, and Britney Spears is among the top musical performers.

We are the Modern Romans... :)

Razgovory

Are you still a religious nut or have you gone back to anarchist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2009, 04:43:25 PM
Are you still a religious nut or have you gone back to anarchist.

I'm a bit of both.

Just like Tolstoi. ;)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)