News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hunting with railguns banned in Wisconson!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2009, 08:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Those Bastards! What about my 2nd amendment rights!  ;)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/40517002.html
QuoteDNR wants to clarify definition of a firearm

By robert Imrie, Associated Press

Posted: Mar. 2, 2009

Wausau - Wary that new technology could change the way bullets are fired, Wisconsin wildlife experts are taking steps to make sure that only traditional guns are used for hunting - at least for the near future.

One of the 91 questions being posed to outdoor enthusiasts at the state Department of Natural Resources annual spring hearings in April seeks to clarify the definition of a firearm for hunting to guns that shoot with compressed air or gunpowder.

Kurt Thiede, the DNR's spring hearing coordinator, said Friday that the change addresses emerging technology that uses electromagnetic fields to fire projectiles - the so-called railgun.

Clarifying the definition of a hunting gun now would make sure the DNR could review and evaluate any new technologies that are developed before they get used in the fields and woods, Chief Warden Randy Stark said.

A pair of calls from hunters asking whether railguns could be used in Wisconsin prompted the regulatory review, he said.

"This is different than somebody coming up with a new kind of fish locator," he said.

Stark said the military has tested the railgun technology, and projectiles have been propelled to seven times the speed of sound.

Issues that would need to be reviewed include whether such a weapon is safe or even fair for hunting, he said.

Stark wondered if the technology could be so powerful that bullets went through tree trunks.

The conservation hearings take place April 13 in all 72 Wisconsin counties; they will take opinions on a variety of fishing and wildlife issues, some proposed by the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, the outdoors group that advises the DNR. The agency uses the results to develop recommendations to the Natural Resources Board.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2009, 08:53:23 PM

Unless something newer emerges, the generator required to power a railgun wouldn't fit into your fanny pack, anyway. ;)
Experience bij!

Neil

'or even fair for hunting'?  :D

Hunting with firearms is never fair.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2009, 09:18:06 PM
'or even fair for hunting'?  :D

Hunting with firearms is never fair.
Yeah. Honestly, the whole thing is facepalm-worthy. I love how NRA nuts act like there's some magic coefficient of fairness that was achieved when we developed gunpowder. I regularly deal with a guy who can't fit his crossbow into a case because he put a scope on it, wears sound amplifiers to out-hear his prey... it's ridiculous.
Experience bij!

Habbaku

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 23, 2009, 09:10:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2009, 08:53:23 PM

QuoteDNR wants to clarify definition of a firearm

By robert Imrie, Associated Press

Posted: Mar. 2, 2009

Wausau - Wary that new technology could change the way bullets are fired, Wisconsin wildlife experts are taking steps to make sure that only traditional guns are used for hunting - at least for the near future.

One of the 91 questions being posed to outdoor enthusiasts at the state Department of Natural Resources annual spring hearings in April seeks to clarify the definition of a firearm for hunting to guns that shoot with compressed air or gunpowder.

Kurt Thiede, the DNR's spring hearing coordinator, said Friday that the change addresses emerging technology that uses electromagnetic fields to fire projectiles - the so-called railgun.

Clarifying the definition of a hunting gun now would make sure the DNR could review and evaluate any new technologies that are developed before they get used in the fields and woods, Chief Warden Randy Stark said.

A pair of calls from hunters asking whether railguns could be used in Wisconsin prompted the regulatory review, he said.

"This is different than somebody coming up with a new kind of fish locator," he said.

Stark said the military has tested the railgun technology, and projectiles have been propelled to seven times the speed of sound.

Issues that would need to be reviewed include whether such a weapon is safe or even fair for hunting, he said.

Stark wondered if the technology could be so powerful that bullets went through tree trunks.

The conservation hearings take place April 13 in all 72 Wisconsin counties; they will take opinions on a variety of fishing and wildlife issues, some proposed by the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, the outdoors group that advises the DNR. The agency uses the results to develop recommendations to the Natural Resources Board.
Unless something newer emerges, the generator required to power a railgun wouldn't fit into your fanny pack, anyway. ;)

Quoting entire articles is fun.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Habbaku on March 23, 2009, 09:27:40 PM
No, I'm using sarcasm.  I heard that makes me funny.
Well, you're half-right. :)
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Damn, I was interested to try a rail gun too; that might even have gotten me back into hunting!

Josquius

Not far enough. They should restrict hunters to bows. Or at least flintlocks.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2009, 08:14:03 AM
Not far enough. They should restrict hunters to bows. Or at least flintlocks.
Scope or no scope? :contract:
Experience bij!