And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Barbarorum AAR?

Started by Queequeg, August 28, 2009, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Queequeg on September 04, 2009, 03:03:24 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 02:55:30 PM
Hmm. Trying to reinstall it, and being told that it's already installed.

How do you start up EB?
On steam?  Do you have the BI mod installed? 

this should fix it
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200524

The BI Mod? I tried using that quickinstaller. I think i might just download everythign and follow the instructions...

Octavian

Quote from: Queequeg on August 31, 2009, 12:07:12 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 30, 2009, 11:05:05 PM
Alright queequeeg, it's $10 on Steam so you've persuaded me.
You bought the Gold Pack? That's what I have.  I'd consider playing it on BI first, with the BI mod, as the Alexander mod is not advised for those who are not already steeped in EB.  The AI is a lot harder, so are the rebels, and there are a lot of building restrictions.  A ton.  And the economic model is a little fucked up.

I tried the Alex mod but uninstalled it as I didn't like the changes (those one actually know about since the guy who made it afaik didn't bother writing down what he changed).

Anyway I'm playing with the alex engine using this submod:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208735

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Faeelin

Wowzers... I got it to work, and I'm having a devil of a time as Baktria. Taxila's elephants are unbeatable...

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 09:25:07 PM
Wowzers... I got it to work, and I'm having a devil of a time as Baktria. Taxila's elephants are unbeatable...
Siege weapons to pierce the wall and bring down the elephants. They are big targets, just get either the biggest or second biggest type of siege weapon and they'll be gone.

You like it?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

I have the potential to like it. It's a bit iffy in some areas, and it is fairly tricky. But I certainly prefer it over, say, Empire.

That said, I decided to give the Averni a shot as my first run through; was there a reason you didn't recommend Rome?

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 05, 2009, 01:25:34 PM
That said, I decided to give the Averni a shot as my first run through; was there a reason you didn't recommend Rome?
The reformation triggers are complicated and you really have to play with those in mind.  That said, they are by far the best heavy infantry faction in the game, and in the begging they have surprisingly excellent Italian Allies cavalry. 

Rome is in some ways the funnest faction to play, as you really get to go across the globe and given the right comp and sound system it is just fantastically immersive (nothing quite like being in a Belgian forest and hearing the Sweboz bark at you), but the reformations are pretty complicated, especially the Marian.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 05, 2009, 05:16:33 PM
BTW, can you link to the AAR?
:huh:
This AAR? 

My Alexander is kind of fucking up the mod, making expansion almost impossible and it has some trouble launching a lot of the time.  I might try to find some way to use the Alexander engine without some of the bogus changes of the Alexander mod. 

Faeelin

Holy shit, even as Rome this is brutal. It's 265, Messina just revolted and defected to Epirus, the Carthaginians have deployed thousands of heavy cavalry to Sicily, and, used to Total War's AI, my plan to slaughter them as they circle my fortifications are to no avail.

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 05, 2009, 08:02:21 PM
Holy shit, even as Rome this is brutal. It's 265, Messina just revolted and defected to Epirus, the Carthaginians have deployed thousands of heavy cavalry to Sicily, and, used to Total War's AI, my plan to slaughter them as they circle my fortifications are to no avail.
Expand north, and go south only when you can afford to loose large armies.  Don't be afraid to enslave or, better yet, resettle cities, especially the big ones. 

Heavy cavalry is always hard to deal with as Rome, but the best answer is inverting the traditional Maniple formation by puting Triarii up front, and having your own (extremely excellent) Equites Extraordinarii take them on the flanks or from behind after they charge.

With elephants as Rome, you won't be able to use siege weapons until after the Marian reforms (ie after you've probably annexed all of Carthage).  Use Campaignian cavalry and other skirmish cavalry. 

Queequeg

Still playing, will either continue tomorrow or start something as Koinon Hellenon (Fae gave me the idea, and the Macedonian Phalanx is kind of annoying).

Seen

Quote from: Queequeg on September 07, 2009, 02:28:57 AM
Still playing, will either continue tomorrow or start something as Koinon Hellenon (Fae gave me the idea, and the Macedonian Phalanx is kind of annoying).
And you will make an AAR about that?

:P

Queequeg

Antigonus left behind him on his death, in the year 260 BC, a stable, unified Greece.  No autonomy was left to the Greek city states, and strong Macedonian garrisons  now patrol the streets of the great Greek poleis.  Within two decades, half a millenium of constant warfare between the Greek cities has come to an end, and the lands of Greece  may finally develop stable inter-communal ties without the threat of competing city states.  Mainland Greece, devastated both by emigration and fragmentation and in the middle of a large-scale economic collapse, has finally begun to heal.

Perseus I's family returned to Macedonia in the 260s BC, and was quickly given a place of honor after his marriage into the Antigonid family line.  Perseus quickly proved himself an able commander and administrator, capturing the Celtic-Thracian city of Scordia and establishing mines and colonies throughout the new province.  Where once young Macedonians looked to the sea for wealth and opportunity, now the colonies in the great Greek Cities, Epirus and newly conquered Megalee Makedonia in Thrace. 

Numerous Epirote families have begun to prove their worth; the final holdout of the Free Hellenes, Rhodes, has now fallen to our proud armies.  While they offered fierce resistance and died like noble Greeks, in the end their walls fell to our siege weapons, crushing their greatest troops stationed on the walls, and their antiquated phalanxes proved little match for our Hyspaspistai and light Agrainian allies, and the last of the free Spartans fell in the city square. 

Perseus has moved further east now, and rumors abound of his intent to conquer both sides of the Aegean.  The pathetic town of Byzantion, "the armpit of Hellas" fell to our forces with compariatively little effort, and the capture of the Thracian town of Tylis does not seem promising, as the Dacian phalanx has proven utterly incapable of withstanding good Macedonian sarissoi.    The conquest of Pergamon looms ahead in the distance, as Pergamon's armies are among the most formidable in the Hellenic world, and their Cataphracts and Elephants are awesome weapons little understood by the Macedonians.

Queequeg

Faeelin

Quote from: Queequeg on September 09, 2009, 10:06:04 PM
Fae, are you still playing?

I plonked away a bit. But I have to be honest, I also downloaded Stainless Steel and find it more compelling.