News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Barbarorum AAR?

Started by Queequeg, August 28, 2009, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on August 31, 2009, 12:05:35 AM
It takes a long time to get right, and there are a lot of patches and submods needed for it.

Not what I was wanting to hear...What patches and submods do I need to make EB worthwhile?

QuoteAnyone know a good image hosting service?  Or how to changes files from .tga?

Photobucket.com is free and works great.  No idea about the latter question.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Seen

Anyone know a good image hosting service?  Or how to changes files from .tga?

Photobucket is fine, http://my.imageshack.us/ is even less a hassle.

http://www.irfanview.com/ should be able to convert almost any picture file type you desire.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Habbaku on August 31, 2009, 01:21:32 AM
It takes a long time to get right, and there are a lot of patches and submods needed for it.

Not what I was wanting to hear...What patches and submods do I need to make EB worthwhile?

QuoteAnyone know a good image hosting service?  Or how to changes files from .tga?

there's apparently a player-made installer that sets up BE for BI fast and easily. at least it worked for me.

Faeelin

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 04, 2009, 12:18:02 AM

there's apparently a player-made installer that sets up BE for BI fast and easily. at least it worked for me.

Link?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 09:09:20 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 04, 2009, 12:18:02 AM

Link?

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=95664

enjoy

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 04, 2009, 10:15:32 AM
http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=95664

enjoy
Thanks.  I am hoping this will resolve some of the bugs that have crept into my ad-hoc installation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Hrm. I tried using it, but no luck. Not sure what the problem is; maybe that I used steam?

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 01:43:27 PM
Hrm. I tried using it, but no luck. Not sure what the problem is; maybe that I used steam?
I got it to work using steam.  Do the install in the R:BI folder, including whatever BI installer there is (I've never used it with BI) and put something in the set launch properties to run the mod.  So cause I have EB-Alexander, I go
Steam list->Properties->Set launch options-> and I put in-> mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander

It is probably something fairly similar for BI.  I'd look it up on the EB forums, shouldn't be that hard.

Just remember to click on your advisor before the start of every game or reloaded game, and play as a relatively simple, powerful faction at first (Bactria would make a lot of sense, the Gippos).  Don't start with Rome, it is really complicated. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Lettow77

I'd follow a celtic one, although I dont see how you could manage that, with no russophilia to filter into it as a reference.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Queequeg

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 04, 2009, 02:14:48 PM
I'd follow a celtic one, although I dont see how you could manage that, with no russophilia to filter into it as a reference.
There is no Slavic faction in the game.  Only one Slavic unit.  I didn't recommend the Celts because they have a complicated reform process, middling economic prospects and will eventually face superior Roman forces.  The Bactrians, on the other hand, start off with one extremely rich province in a very stable position as long as you don't piss off the Seleucids too quickly, one of the three or four strongest unit rosters and probably the most well balanced, a lot of homeland provinces, etc....they are a pretty great introduction I think.  As long as you understand that in the begging the Seleucids can pretty easily fuck you up, and that you don't send phalanxes up against horse archers unassisted. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

KRonn

The only TW game I play is Rome, and I like it. The AI needs to be better in battles though, but sometimes it does well enough depending on unit mix vs what I have. I can appreciate what this mod has to offer, would like to try it, but I'm wary of installing it; seems like it makes a great game but I fear it would cause problems. As you guys say, it takes some effort and different steps to get it done right.  :(

Lettow77

EB is the only way i'd play rome after trying it. It is really worth the effort.

As for the difficulties you say the celts face- I havent experienced it. Whupping up on the yankees with their better equipment down the road is a large source of the fun, anyway.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Queequeg

Yankees?  The Romans were way better at counter insurgency than us.  And we let some of you Southerners live and have only set up Colonia in the last 30 years. 

Faeelin

Hmm. Trying to reinstall it, and being told that it's already installed.

How do you start up EB?

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 02:55:30 PM
Hmm. Trying to reinstall it, and being told that it's already installed.

How do you start up EB?
On steam?  Do you have the BI mod installed? 

this should fix it
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200524