And we're back!

Main Menu

Girl taken in 1991 surfaces; couple held

Started by viper37, August 27, 2009, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

My Tim momment :)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/27/california.missing.girl/index.html

A 29-year old woman walked into a northern California police station, saying she was abducted 18 years ago, authorities said Thursday. Two people are being held in connection with the case.

Jaycee Dugard is in good health, el Dorado County sheriff's office said in a statement, but provided no further details.
Meanwhile, in Contra Costa County, another sheriff's spokesman confirmed that that a man and a woman have been arrested in connection with the case but could provide no other details.
CNN affiliates have reported that Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy Garrido, have been charged.
Phillip Garrido is a registered sex offender and listed on the Department of Justice's Megan's Law page because of a previous forcible rape charge.
An officer at the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez, California, told CNN that the two had been at the jail and both were ordered held on $1 million bail. The officer said the pair was no longer in the jail but that Phillip Garrido had been booked on charges of kidnapping, conspiracy and related offenses. Nancy Garrido was booked on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.
Earlier Thursday, Carl Probyn, Dugard's stepfather, told CNN that an FBI agent had called his wife, Terry, on Wednesday afternoon to tell her that Dugard had been found.
   The blond-haired, blue-eyed 11-year-old was last seen walking to her bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, California, on June 10, 1991, according to the FBI. She was wearing a pink windbreaker and pink stretch pants.
   At the time, "it was reported that a vehicle occupied by two individuals drove up to Jaycee Dugard and abducted her in view of her stepfather," the El Dorado County sheriff's office said on Thursday.
   Despite extensive investigations, no sign of her or her possible abductors was ever found, authorities said.
Probyn said Dugard walked into a police station earlier Wednesday. He said the FBI agent told his wife that authorities had "Jaycee and the people who she was with." He said no further details were provided, and that the conversation with the FBI agent was brief.
"It was short and sweet, and 'Can you fly up here?'" he said.
The El Dorado County Sheriff's office has scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. (6 p.m. ET) to discuss the case.
Probyn said his wife, who is flying Thursday from Southern California to meet with Dugard, spoke to her on Wednesday.
"Jaycee remembers everything," he said. "They talked back and forth and she had the right answers to all my wife's questions."
He said, "I'm feeling great! ... It's like winning the lotto."
Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, said the reappearance of Dugard is "absolutely huge."  "One of the things that we preach to searching families all the time ... is that even in these long-term cases there's hope," he said. "Even in these long-term cases ... it's important that we not let the world forget."

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 04:39:58 PM
Wow.

I agree.

Will be interesting if  there is anything worthwhile to hear at the press conference or if it will just be the FBI and cops patting themselves on the back.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

How weird.
Will probally give new impetus to those McCan gits though.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2009, 06:18:15 PM
How weird.
Will probally give new impetus to those McCan gits though.

meowtf?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

So, this person was able to keep a woman as a sex slave in his backyard, despite being a registered sex offender and being visited by a probation officer. Doesn't do much to maintain any confidence in the bureaucratic management of serious sex offenders.

jimmy olsen

Wow, fucking crazy. At least the Austrian had a secret room in his house.

I can only roll my eyes in disgust at this.  :rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32583149/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/
QuoteGarrido was on lifetime parole, and his arrest raises questions about how closely parolees are monitored. But Kollar said a visitor to Garrido's house would not notice anything was amiss — the compound was well concealed by shrubs, garbage cans and a tarp.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

So there is a guy who kidnaps, rapes and procreates with a girl. And all this in a place run by an Austrian.

Is there a pattern emerging?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on August 28, 2009, 03:01:48 AM
So there is a guy who kidnaps, rapes and procreates with a girl. And all this in a place run by an Austrian.

Is there a pattern emerging?

:huh:

Garrido sounds Hispanic or Italian... not Austrian. And this took place in California.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

I look forward to this....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/08/28/2009-08-28_kidnapped_girl_found_years_later.html
QuoteIn an interview with KCRA3, Garrido on Thursday night urged people to wait for more details about the case to come out before making a judgment.

"What's kept me busy the last several years is I've completely turned my life around," he said.

"And you're going to find the most powerful story coming from the witness, the victim - you wait. If you take this a step at a time, you're going to fall over backwards and in the end, you're going to find the most powerful heartwarming story."

And if anyone is interested, here's his blogg: http://www.voicesrevealed.blogspot.com/

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2009, 06:31:21 AM
:huh:

Garrido sounds Hispanic or Italian... not Austrian. And this took place in California.
:lol:

He was referring to Arnie, who runs California and is an Austrian. ;)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 06:52:17 AM
:lol:

He was referring to Arnie, who runs California and is an Austrian. ;)

Oh.  :blush:

Carry on.