News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Napoleon: Total War (Not an Expansion for Empire)

Started by PRC, August 26, 2009, 04:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Actually IMO all of the 'grand campaigns' in the CA games *suck*.  I always play the 'side campaigns' only, which is why I usually wait for the expansion packs and buy the game + expansion.  In M:TW II 90% of my play time was the Spanish conquest of the Americas, and in M:TW probably 99% of my play time was with Viking Invasion.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2009, 08:02:14 AM
Actually IMO all of the 'grand campaigns' in the CA games *suck*.  I always play the 'side campaigns' only, which is why I usually wait for the expansion packs and buy the game + expansion.  In M:TW II 90% of my play time was the Spanish conquest of the Americas, and in M:TW probably 99% of my play time was with Viking Invasion.

I'd play the Teutonic campaign, just to crush Spellus' Russians with Ritterbruders. Dead Russians = Spellus tears.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I'm exactly the opposite.

Cecil

And 90% of the reason the GC always blows is that CA cant program a campaign AI worth a damn. Scenarios much more limited scope makes it much easier to hardcode specific behaviours making the AI fare a lot better.

Besides I tend to think the scenarios suck as well. I wait for the mods to get out. I made an exception with ETW which I aint likely to repeat anytime soon.

Caliga

Quote from: Cecil on September 03, 2009, 08:23:12 AMAnd 90% of the reason the GC always blows is that CA cant program a campaign AI worth a damn. Scenarios much more limited scope makes it much easier to hardcode specific behaviours making the AI fare a lot better.
Yes, exactly.

Honestly the only 'grand campaign' I actually liked was the one in Shogun: Total War.  :D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

I'm playing broken crescent 2. After being spammed by elite egyptians and turks as the crusaders I looked in the campaign scripted events. Yes I'm good. But 15k ducats and topping up defenders in besieged cities with high quality units just meant that my pathetic attempts to beat 6 chevron ghazis with fucking useless levantine spear milita just left my tactical and strategic skill lacking.

Conducting a successful cannae under those conditions just results in my encircling forces being broken by the tight packed encircled forces.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Faeelin

I agree with this, which might be why I loved The Road to Independence. Especially conquering the British Isles with Nathanial Greene.  :yeah:

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on September 03, 2009, 08:48:30 AM
I'm playing broken crescent 2. After being spammed by elite egyptians and turks as the crusaders I looked in the campaign scripted events. Yes I'm good. But 15k ducats and topping up defenders in besieged cities with high quality units just meant that my pathetic attempts to beat 6 chevron ghazis with fucking useless levantine spear milita just left my tactical and strategic skill lacking.

Conducting a successful cannae under those conditions just results in my encircling forces being broken by the tight packed encircled forces.
I'm playing Stainless Steel 6.2 Byzantines grand campaign, and I've already taken 42 out of 70 territories required to win.  Surprisingly, I've actually managed to make and keep two allies, which means that I'm only at war with 9 AI factions (although a couple have been marginalized).  The healthy AI factions really come at me, and it's constant warfare on the frontiers (as well as near Constantinople, with those stupid Jihads).

Good thing the siege AI is pretty passive, or all that warfare would get pretty tiresome.  I just kill all the ranged units with my cavalry, and then send out my ballista units to their infantry flanks.  To their credit, the enemy is very disciplined, and keeps the formation even while the bolts are ripping through their sides and taking out a whole rank at a time.  They keep their composure even as the ballista is standing 100 feet from them, and has already racked up 600 kills.  They're too professional to do something rash, like charging that ballista.

Valmy

The reason I cannot play the TW grand campaigns is because you really cannot decide not to conquer an AI faction...generally once you reach a certain size they will all fight you to the death...and just keep sending wimpy armies in you defeat and then they build another and send it in and this rather tiresome process continues forever.  You just cannot conquer them because your empire gets harder to manage as you get bigger.

The only thing more tiresome is in EU3 when you come into contact with the Ming Empire.  Fucking Ming Empire ruins that game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2009, 10:14:21 AM
The reason I cannot play the TW grand campaigns is because you really cannot decide not to conquer an AI faction...generally once you reach a certain size they will all fight you to the death...and just keep sending wimpy armies in you defeat and then they build another and send it in and this rather tiresome process continues forever.  You just cannot conquer them because your empire gets harder to manage as you get bigger.
It does?  I think it actually gets easier to manage.  Once you're large enough, most of your cities are not on frontier anymore, and thus don't require strong garrison.  That lets you keep bigger armies on the frontier without straining your economy.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2009, 10:18:11 AM
It does?  I think it actually gets easier to manage.

The tend to revolt and get ornery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Cecil

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2009, 10:27:25 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2009, 10:18:11 AM
It does?  I think it actually gets easier to manage.

The tend to revolt and get ornery.

Huh? Dont think that happened since MTW1. And that was scripted into the game.

DGuller

Quote from: Cecil on September 03, 2009, 10:28:59 AM
It didn't happen to me either.  Valmy, how do you set your taxes?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2009, 10:30:09 AM
It didn't happen to me either.  Valmy, how do you set your taxes?

The lowest I can usually.  Heck I do everything I can.  The cities grow and they revolt.  Meh.

Valmy

Quote from: Cecil on September 03, 2009, 10:28:59 AM

Well it sure happened in Rome: Total War.