Napoleon: Total War (Not an Expansion for Empire)

Started by PRC, August 26, 2009, 04:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 01:51:48 PM
:cool:

My point is basically that game reviews are utterly worthless and it's painfully obvious they slant them in order to keep their advertisers (who are producing the very games they review) happy.

I think the movie critic industry has some sort of self-policing to avoid this situation, and it needs to be adopted by the game review community.
Agreed.  It's very sad to see game reviews bought with such a total lack of subtlety.

Caliga

Also this is why P'dox games usually get 'horrible' reviews (i.e. reviews of less than 90 ;) )... because P'dox likely does not buy ad space on places like Gamespot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

This thread has inspired me to finally give Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition a fair try.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 11:38:52 AM
Am I the only person who has Empire and actually likes it?  :huh:
I like it, but it's not as good as it could have (or should have) been.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 01:51:48 PM
:cool:

My point is basically that game reviews are utterly worthless and it's painfully obvious they slant them in order to keep their advertisers (who are producing the very games they review) happy.

For most of the gaming mags, I think the self-policing comes when they are forced into bankruptcy.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 11:38:52 AM
Am I the only person who has Empire and actually likes it?  :huh:

I enjoyed it until I invaded Europe with 3 Indian stacks. Then it got silly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2009, 10:25:17 AM
I have SS 6.2 RC4, not SS 6.1.  SS 6.2 nixed a lot of the exploits, and also kicks some cash to AI every turn for every territory they own.  That makes a big difference. 

It's also actually very hard to keep peace in 6.2, because you're forced to have a much smaller army than the AI, and thus look like an easy target.  You'll be DOWed easily, and you'll have a hard time making peace (although it's possible in some cases).

I also hate burning cities, and in fact my whole strategy revolves around getting them to grow very quickly.  Nothing is more annoying than being stock with a frontier city that's way behind the curve.  I actually go full chivalry, doing anything within reason to turn my every general into a saint, so that my cities and castles would grow like mushrooms.

I tried 6.2 and to be completely honest I have better things to do than to defend against three assaults on my three frontier towns each turn by a stack consisting of 10 spearmen 5 archers and one or two mounted seargents. The sheer monotony defeated me. Other annoying things is the change in the autoresolve function which means I have to fight all the mundane boring fights that I usually autoresolve to stave off the mindnumbing repetetiveness of slaughtering spearmen and peasant archers.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2009, 02:13:16 PM
This thread has inspired me to finally give Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition a fair try.

If you like it well enough, both Berkut and I have it and I think Tamas or Delirium also have a copy.  We could set up some decent MP...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I second the lack of enthusiasm.

Though I must say I haven't entirely given Empire a fair go, it ran very very slow on my rather old computer. When I get my super new computer in a year or two i'll try it again.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 02:08:59 PM
Also this is why P'dox games usually get 'horrible' reviews (i.e. reviews of less than 90 ;) )... because P'dox likely does not buy ad space on places like Gamespot.

HOI3 got an 95 so they must have bought something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

It got an 85 so they must have bought something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on August 28, 2009, 05:18:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2009, 02:13:16 PM

If you like it well enough, both Berkut and I have it and I think Tamas or Delirium also have a copy.  We could set up some decent MP...

Hm, I might be interested, yes.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2009, 03:49:56 AM

Young man you should be in bed at 3:48 AM.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sahib

Quote from: Fate on August 27, 2009, 05:27:57 AM
I'll buy this. If I keep supporting this company, eventually they'll make Shogun II...

What if they make a Shogun II that will rape your memories?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2009, 07:29:51 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2009, 03:49:56 AM

Young man you should be in bed at 3:48 AM.

It got a 75 so they must have bought something