18 (41.9%)
Hobbits/Gnomes
5 (11.6%)
Trolls
7 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

DisturbedPervert

Hobbits/Gnomes.

Have played one of these in every MMO I've played.  Everquest and WoW I was a Gnome, and LOTRO was a Hobbit.

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on August 26, 2009, 03:53:38 PM
voted gnomes, who should be broken out of hobbits. way underused in Fantasy, even culled from D&D 4.0 as a PC race apparently.

If I never read a novel or play a game with Tolkien-type elves in it again, I will maintain equanimity.

Traditional gnomes really don't have much of an identity though.  Kind-of like dwarves, but not really.   Dreagonlance breathed some life into them by making them tinkering geniuses (but that kind of breaks some of the historical setting).

Personally I have no problem with modern fantasy elves.  They have a very distinct image and are a useful archtype.

I do wish more fantasy would use a much more traditional elf - more playful woodland spirit, rather than the more Tolkeinesque variety.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

Quote from: Savonarola on August 26, 2009, 04:06:41 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on August 26, 2009, 04:04:34 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 26, 2009, 02:36:57 PM
Why is it that elves live for over a thousand years, are supposed to be naturally adept at magic, but cannot advance beyond 11th level as a Wizard?

because they spend centuries instead studying spell lists dealing with floral arrangements, cotton bedding weaves, and grape growing. refined stuff like that.

So you're agreeing with Monkeybutt?  :unsure:

not really. they are not all gay. I see them more as aesthetes, wanting nothing to do with staining body fluids.
humans were created in their own image

Jaron

Blood Elves in WoW are playful wood spirits rather than Tol-keenish.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 04:07:57 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on August 26, 2009, 03:53:38 PM
voted gnomes, who should be broken out of hobbits. way underused in Fantasy, even culled from D&D 4.0 as a PC race apparently.

If I never read a novel or play a game with Tolkien-type elves in it again, I will maintain equanimity.

Traditional gnomes really don't have much of an identity though.  Kind-of like dwarves, but not really.   Dreagonlance breathed some life into them by making them tinkering geniuses (but that kind of breaks some of the historical setting).

I agree with this... they are pretty much an open book, which is a problem in most fantasy, as its a largely derivative genre anyway.
humans were created in their own image

Josquius

Gnomes are dumb.
As said they're just...semi-dwarfs. And they have silly assosiations with their names.
I've no clue why they were even originally tacked onto the genre with d&d (???)

I'm unsure on the grand question. Of dwarves or elves.
It used to be elves all the way- I'm a ranger type so meh- but as I've grown up I relate with dwarves increasingly...the only trouble is....they're dwarves. I just don't like them being so damn short.
That I'm so tall myself (well...not these days but when I was younger certainly) would lead to no end of jokes if I go dwarf.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2009, 04:13:58 PM
Gnomes are dumb.
As said they're just...semi-dwarfs. And they have silly assosiations with their names.
I've no clue why they were even originally tacked onto the genre with d&d (???)

Because they are awesome and you suck?

Yes I think that covers it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2009, 03:18:51 PM
Dwarves.

Elves deserve to be genocided.

This isn't WoW fool!

Elves are Eru's firstborn, and glorious to behold.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Naturally magic apt trickersters?  How the fuck is that kind of like dwarves?

Well I guess they both were short...and deep gnomes lived deep underground but they were one of the coolest races in the game so surely you didn't mean the Svirfneblin.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 04:21:06 PM

Well I guess they both were short...and deep gnomes lived deep underground but they were one of the coolest races in the game so surely you didn't mean the Svirfneblin.

:bleeding:  Everything in Unearthed Arcana was awful (except the extensive pole arm section.)  All the new classes and races were severely over powered.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Naturally magic apt trickersters?  How the fuck is that kind of like dwarves?

Since when is their identity "magic apt tricksters"?  I won't doubt that somewhere they're described as such, but they don't have the same image in popular fantasy that elves or dwarves have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Quote from: Grallon on August 26, 2009, 04:20:29 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2009, 03:18:51 PM
Dwarves.

Elves deserve to be genocided.

This isn't WoW fool!

Elves are Eru's firstborn, and glorious to behold.

G.

This isn't LOTR fool!

And: :nerd: to the rest of your post.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

How the fuck is that kind of like dwarves?

Is it me or are you getting more grumpy lately?

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 04:34:11 PM
Since when is their identity "magic apt tricksters"?

Since Rumplestilskin?

Josquius

Quote from: ulmont on August 26, 2009, 05:32:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 04:34:11 PM
Since when is their identity "magic apt tricksters"?

Since Rumplestilskin?
I've never heard him be called a gnome.
██████
██████
██████