18 (41.9%)
Hobbits/Gnomes
5 (11.6%)
Trolls
7 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Josquius

Quote from: saskganesh on August 27, 2009, 02:00:18 PM
youtube has a number of official 4th edition D&D cartoons that make fun of the whole gnome thing. the gnome is in three of them. pretty good. start the with tiefling and gnome interview: "I'm a monster! rrrrwl" , then the demogorgan interview, then finally the mindflayer job interview.
You expect the typical languisher to actually go and search for these videos themselves? Pah!
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

youtube has a number of official 4th edition D&D cartoons that make fun of the whole gnome thing. the gnome is in three of them. pretty good. start the with tiefling and gnome interview: "I'm a monster! rrrrwl" , then the demogorgan interview, then finally the mindflayer job interview.

:( Poor badger. Funny, though. :P
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on August 27, 2009, 01:56:51 PM
in original AD&D you still have to suffer through being gimped in your powers until your second class was higher level than your first one (and only one switch allowed). multiclass had no such restrictions, and you grew in power in all classes, not just your current one.

Having to split your Hit Points and experience was pretty rough though.

But yeah alot depended on how you strategized your dual classing.  It was a very gamey and strategic element and impossible to Role-Play.

Why would you suddenly forget how to use a sword and then suddenly remember again?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2009, 02:07:07 PM
You expect the typical languisher to actually go and search for these videos themselves? Pah!

yes. we need to shake things up around here.
humans were created in their own image

Razgovory

I thought in the original D&D demi-human races actually functioned as classes.  You would be a 5th level elf or what ever.  I never really got into 3rd edition.  It got to anime-ish looking.  Bleh.  Also everyone had a bunch of fucking tattoos.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:02:54 PM
I thought in the original D&D demi-human races actually functioned as classes.  You would be a 5th level elf or what ever.

Yes.  And they had ridiculously low level limits there as well.

Hobbits were capped at level 8, Elves at level 10, and Dwarves at level 12.

But there was 1st and 2nd edition AD&D after that.

Humans, of course, went to level 36.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 03:26:06 PM
I thought in the original D&D demi-human races actually functioned as classes.  You would be a 5th level elf or what ever.

Yes.  And they had ridiculously low level limits there as well.

Hobbits were capped at level 8, Elves at level 10, and Dwarves at level 12.

But there was 1st and 2nd edition AD&D after that.

Humans, of course, went to level 36.

Humans went up to 60.

But there was some kind of alternate levelling for demi-humans even though they couldn't increase in level.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 03:27:11 PM
Humans went up to 60.

The Master's set only went up to 36.  I guess they went from 37-60 in the Immortal's rules?

jimmy olsen

I thought in the original D&D demi-human races actually functioned as classes.  You would be a 5th level elf or what ever.  I never really got into 3rd edition.  It got to anime-ish looking.  Bleh.  Also everyone had a bunch of fucking tattoos.
I'm a tenth level Vice-President.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 27, 2009, 03:53:09 PM
I'm a tenth level Vice-President.

Is that the level you gain the spell "Invent Internet" or do you gain the ability to use special ammo "bird shot" with your new ranged weapon  "shotgun"?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Savonarola

Quote from: Strix on August 27, 2009, 03:58:37 PM

Is that the level you gain the spell "Invent Internet" or do you gain the ability to use special ammo "bird shot" with your new ranged weapon  "shotgun"?

"Invent Internet" is the power tenth level Vice Presidents get.  Sith Lords get the "Bird shot +5" at 10th level.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Strix

Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2009, 04:06:36 PM
Quote from: Strix on August 27, 2009, 03:58:37 PM

"Invent Internet" is the power tenth level Vice Presidents get.  Sith Lords get the "Bird shot +5" at 10th level.

I used to love Dragon magazine. I think they published a Jedi class? I remember they had a Jock class that was similar to a Paladin. It's special sword was a Holy Hockey Stick. 
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 03:35:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 03:27:11 PM
Humans went up to 60.

The Master's set only went up to 36.  I guess they went from 37-60 in the Immortal's rules?

No, I think you're right. :blush:

Immortal's had Immortal levels.  No idea how high those went.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 11:52:28 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 27, 2009, 11:50:59 AM
and isn't wizard the favoured class of Elves? now that I think about it. what are you guys quoting version 1?

Most of us never played past 2nd Edition.

Obviously in 3rd edition there were no more level limits.  Really everybody ignored them by the later period of 2nd edition as well even though my fascist DMs stuck by them like gospel.

Sticking to rules like gospel = not much fun. As a DM, I just made up whatever rules appeared appropriate.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Agelastus

I think the operative phrase goes like...

"Worthless without links." :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."