News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

KFC's "bunless" sandwich

Started by DontSayBanana, August 26, 2009, 09:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/08/25/kfc-double-down-chicken-sandwich-loses-the-bun/?icid=main

QuoteKFC Double Down Chicken Sandwich Loses the Bun

Posted Aug 25th 2009 3:30PM by Sara Bonisteel

KFC is currently testing the Double Down.
Why bother with the bun? That's the premise of KFC's latest offering -- the Double Down -- a sandwich that replaces the traditional bun with two Original Recipe chicken fillets.

"It's such a meaty chicken sandwich, there's no room for a bun," Rick Maynard, a KFC spokesman told Slashfood.

But the sandwich -- currently being tested in Omaha, Neb., and Providence, R.I. -- has some wondering if the Colonel has gone too far.

Newspapers like the Hartford Courant called the appearance of the Double Down a "complete 180" for the chain, and the Vancouver Sun estimated that the sandwich -- two chicken fillets sandwiching Swiss and pepper jack cheeses, bacon and "the Colonel's sauce" -- weighs in at 1,228 calories.

Maynard told Slashfood that KFC estimates the sandwich's caloric count at "just under 600," though the final nutritional data is not in.

Earlier this year, the chain unveiled a healthier dining option -- Kentucky Grilled Chicken -- under the Unthink ad campaign. But KFC uses the same Unthink logo in a Double Down TV advertisement, where a man exclaims "there should be more chicken in a chicken sandwich!"

The price of the sandwich varies but in Omaha, one foodie found it selling for $4.99, with combos -- including fries and soda pop -- going for $6.99.

Has potential; almost like a faux "chicken cordon bleu" that you eat with your hands.  :mmm:
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

[Berkut]Obesity is genetic. There is no evidence that people who eat this sandwich will grow more obese than people who don't.[/Berkut]

Ed Anger

That sandwich is my new desktop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

For the sake of controlling medical costs, I hope the people eating this sandwich would die right there on the spot, and not later on the operating table.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2009, 09:58:09 AM
[Berkut]Obesity is genetic. There is no evidence that people who eat this sandwich will grow more obese than people who don't.[/Berkut]

:jaron:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 10:05:59 AM
Wow.

Disgusting.

What's disgusting about mixing chicken, cheese and bacon? People do it in salads all the time.

Nobody said you had to eat the whole thing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

The more of these you buy, the better my mother-in-law's retirement gift will be, so buy them all up, folks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 26, 2009, 09:54:01 AM
But the sandwich -- currently being tested in Omaha, Neb., and Providence, R.I. -- has some wondering if the Colonel has gone too far.

THIS TIME COLONEL SANDERS HAS GONE TOO FAR!   :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

Tim, it is your sacred duty to try this and report back.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I've never understood sandwiches at KFC. You go to KFC you want best tnot to think about it and just eat chicken lumps.

How many calories it has is meh, the more calories the better. It means I then have to eat less the rest of the day.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

How is this "going to far" anyway?

Its not like if KFC doesn't sell this, then people won't be able to buy themselves a heart attack at KFC anyway - they will just do it buying some other item that is an entire days calroie intake in one go, and eating that instead.

Seriously, they sell fried chicken.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned