News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Edward Kennedy

Started by Jaron, August 26, 2009, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm glad that Obama called him the greatest senator of our time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

:( Last of the "Greatest Generation of Kennedys" RIP
:p

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2009, 11:32:52 AM
I can't think of many other candidates.  Part of it's longevity, but it's difficult to think of an area of American political life without legislation written or sponsored by Kennedy.  In terms of real impact (as opposed to myth and cultural impact) I think he's by far and away the most consequential of the Kennedy clan.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 26, 2009, 10:36:13 AM
Ted Kennedy's life was about a driving need to cross bridges to make connections.  It was about plunging deeply into the river of experience and leaving the dead weight behind.  It was about drinking in fully the heady brew of politics, speeding widly into the hurly-burly without a care, taking some hard knocks, picking oneself up and heading into the twilight with no regrets and without looking back.  Sure Ted was a big spender, but he had a big heart, and he knew you can't get anything worthwhile done without spending a few Kopechs.  Who knows - he might have been President, if only he had hit the breaks.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron

Who else even comes close?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Quote from: Berkut on August 26, 2009, 09:57:32 AM
He was a despicable human being and a coward, and I will remember him as such.

What nerve.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Let's try to remember the positives.

Ted Kennedy's life was about a driving need to cross bridges to make connections.  It was about plunging deeply into the river of experience and leaving the dead weight behind.  It was about drinking in fully the heady brew of politics, speeding widly into the hurly-burly without a care, taking some hard knocks, picking oneself up and heading into the twilight with no regrets and without looking back.  Sure Ted was a big spender, but he had a big heart, and he knew you can't get anything worthwhile done without spending a few Kopechs.  Who knows - he might have been President, if only he had hit the breaks.

Bravo. :lmfao:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2009, 11:36:54 AM
I can't think of many other candidates.  Part of it's longevity, but it's difficult to think of an area of American political life without legislation written or sponsored by Kennedy.  In terms of real impact (as opposed to myth and cultural impact) I think he's by far and away the most consequential of the Kennedy clan.

Oh that's fair. I just have in my head that "greatness" has a connotation of one worthy of respect and/or admiration.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

Razgovory

And yet a better man then you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2009, 12:16:21 PM

And yet a better man then you.

Not at all - I would certainly not have abandoned someone to their death. So no, not a better man than I - probably not even a better man than you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jaron on August 26, 2009, 12:09:14 PM

Who else even comes close?

Depends on how you define "our time" but Mitchell and Dole were contemporaries with pretty good claims.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Let's try to remember the positives.

Hilarious.  :lol:

Does anyone want to post the tribute on another forum (I'm thinking Huffington Post).  :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

I am totally going to steal that and post it on facebook.

JR can sue me later if he wants.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 26, 2009, 12:23:57 PM
I am totally going to steal that and post it on facebook.

I'll make several tweets! :w00t: