News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Started by Grallon, August 25, 2009, 12:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

The 1st trailer of the new Cameron movie is out - I haven't seen any thread about this yet.  Looks well done. 

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

Hope it's good since there is so little sci fi, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. 

Queequeg

Is all of it CG or just the space and alien bits?  I couldn't tell.  :blush: Pretty impressive. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

While impressed with the technical aspects, I am not exactly positive about the plot.  Cameron's statements have implied, to me, that he's only doing this to push the envelope in terms of technology--an indicator, to me, that the plot is going to get short shrift.

I'll probably still see it, but likely just at a dollar theater or something.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Saw the trailer in the theater.  Looks stoopid.  James Cameron hasn't been sane since before Titanic.

Siege

Saw the trailer in the theater, before Glorious Bastards. Looks great, but too Warcraft-like for my taste. Hope the story is good.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Well, it looks like a movie made for GalCiv2.
It looks like a human colony ship reached the world of those weir things.
They started landing in shuttles from orbit.
Then, the humans in wheelchairs, had their coinciences transfered into captured wild blue people, so they could walk again and breathe the atmosphere of that planet without mechanical aid.
The blue people seem to be regarded as not an inteligent specie by human standards.
Then, human turned blue, learn to live with the native-blues, and native-blues go to war with humans.
Blue humans had hard time chosing wheather side with their human brothers or with the blue savages.
Humans are colonialist-imperialist-capitalist pigs, blue people are cool natives that don't even have money.
Humans bad, natives good.
Blue humans join natives, and defeat bad non-blue humans.
The End.

What do you think?
Did I get it right?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Lettow77

What? this anime, its terrible.

Why dont they get around to making live action bebop instead?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 25, 2009, 04:37:42 PM
Hope it's good since there is so little sci fi, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. 
Indeed. Any sci fi is good we're so starved.

Are the people computer graphics? They look it sometimes but others...not...I'm hopeful though.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

Oohh, wrong avatar is it? How many avatars can they be making at one time?

In any event, this premise does look a bit bad. District 9 more than sated my desire for a wonderful sci fi film.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

BuddhaRhubarb

looks very :nerd:  core. also looks like a cutscene for Half-Life 4 or something.
:p

DontSayBanana

I'm confused. Is this supposed to be fantasy or sci-fi? We've got robot soldiers, ultra-cybered-up soldiers, space ships, floating islands, and fields of "magic sparklies..." I'm having a harder time pinpointing where I should stand on this than the Persian envoy to Leonidas in 300. :huh:
Experience bij!

Cerr

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2009, 05:19:34 AM

Are the people computer graphics? They look it sometimes but others...not...I'm hopeful though.
Have you seen Moon? It came out in July.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

It's a great sci fi film.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Cerr on August 27, 2009, 03:22:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2009, 05:19:34 AM

Have you seen Moon? It came out in July.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

It's a great sci fi film.

Moon 44 is awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097910/
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive